flywheel hard to turn

bigg

Recruit
i have a evinrude 7.5 outboard and i recently took it out and when i tried to start it the rope was hard to pull. i checked the rope pulley and it was okay. so i tried to move the flywheel and its very hard to turn. i took the top off and the key and everything seems intact .but i obviously dont know much about it(DONT CHECK CRANKSHAFT HARD TO TURN BY ME MY MISTAKE)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: flywheel hard to turn

What fuel to oil mix ratio are you using? When was the motor last running OK?

bigg

Recruit

i used a 50:1 ratio and ran it to see if it was running properly right before i took it out, it was , when i got it to the water and tried to start it it was hard to pull.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

pull the plugs, and see. should turn rather freely. when you ran it before you took it out, did it have a water source?

bigg

Recruit

we had some impeller trouble last time we took it out,fixed it but the engine was very hot for a while

tashasdaddy

that doesn't sound good. pull the plugs and see. if it will turn,

bigg

Recruit

pulled the plugs,its easier to turn but only a little

tashasdaddy

me think you have toasted bearings, let's let this ride a while and see what the others think.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

50:1 is not good for that motor. 50:1 plus water infiltration into the powerhead from a leaking seal is death.

EDIT: After thinking about it for a minute, I know what your problem more than likely is. The shock absorber in the lower unit is broken. When it breaks, it grows in length and becomes too long to fit in the space it's in. That results in hard to turn. The shock absorber is below the bearing plate under the water pump.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/Shockabsorberoperation.jpg?t=1179341503

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would buy a head gasket, get ready to investigate. Put the motor on the deck, transom end down, and dump some oil in the spark plug holes. Don't try to turn the engine over until you give the oil a chance to work its way around. After 24 hours, take the cylinder head off and see what has happened in there.

No matter what you find, good shop practice demands a new head gasket after an overheat.

ssiouffi

Cadet

Just have the same problem. Motor was running fine last year.
This summer the flywheel is hard to start, even with an electric starter.
Battery is charged up.

Any hints ????