Johnson 9.9 i think 1982

sonnygon

Cadet
I bought A 14 FOOT FISHING BOAT WITH A Johnson 9.9. The seller told me that the motor runs great,but has not been started in 2 years. He sprayed starter fluid in the carb. and it would fire right up ,for a couple of secs.Then die. I took it home and took the carb. apart and it had like jelly inside it. I cleaned it all up but it back together put new plugs,and it started right up !!!!took it to the lake and it would only run at a very slow speed. If i tried to turn the throttle it would die,and if i turned it down it would die. What does the knob that turns that says lean and rich on it/?? is that for idel or when it is in gear running?? Also the old owner told me to mix 20:1 that is what i did.

It looks like everyone wants you to mix 50:1:confused: :confused:
Does this motor have points ????

Thank for any help i can get.:)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 9.9 i think 1982

Welcome to iboats. :)

Sounds like the owner didn't know much about what he owned. 50:1 in any 9.9 Johnson I've ever seen. If you give us a model number, we can give you a year. An 82 is model number J10RCN, J10RLCN or J10ELCN. But it sounds like the carb is going to need some more cleaning. The earliest 9.9s from the mid 70s do have points but by the late 70s they didn't. Lean/Rich is your idle mixture needle. It should be about one turn out, then fine tuned from there to compensate for varying atmospheric conditions. Once you get it set, you rarely have to move it. You can go to johnson.com and navigate to Parts & Accessories to Literature to Engine Diagrams for parts breakdowns. They'll ask for your e-mail but you don't have to fill it in.

sonnygon

Cadet

i checked the nubers on the motor model # J10SELCNS AND THE SERIAL # E5607098
Welcome to iboats. :)

Sounds like the owner didn't know much about what he owned. 50:1 in any 9.9 Johnson I've ever seen. If you give us a model number, we can give you a year. An 82 is model number J10RCN, J10RLCN or J10ELCN. But it sounds like the carb is going to need some more cleaning. The earliest 9.9s from the mid 70s do have points but by the late 70s they didn't. Lean/Rich is your idle mixture needle. It should be about one turn out, then fine tuned from there to compensate for varying atmospheric conditions. Once you get it set, you rarely have to move it. You can go to johnson.com and navigate to Parts & Accessories to Literature to Engine Diagrams for parts breakdowns. They'll ask for your e-mail but you don't have to fill it in.

sonnygon

Cadet

I Checked The Number On The Motor

Model; # J10selcns
Serial # E5607098

iwombat

Captain

I'm surprised nobody has jumped all over the starting fluid.

Don't use it.

If you need to prime your carb use a squirt bottle with some pre-mix in it. Starter fluid has no lubrication in it.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm surprised nobody has jumped all over the starting fluid.

Don't use it.

If you need to prime your carb use a squirt bottle with some pre-mix in it. Starter fluid has no lubrication in it.

Dadgumit...you beat me to it! Starter fluid is a Big no no! I have a small squirt bottle I got at northern tool that I keep some in...I use it for all my 2 strokes...makes life a lot easier!

sonnygon

Cadet

The Guy That I Bought It From Use Starter Fluid,he Wanted Me To See It Fire Up. I New The Carb Was All Pluged Up.

I Have Not Used Starter Fluid In It. It Starts Right Up With The Gas I Mixed. But Only Runs At Very Slow Speeds.the Motor Dies Out Whe I Give It Gas. I Will Pull The Carb And Clean It Very Well.

Thanks For All The Info !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icy

Seaman

try mixing the proper ratio fuel/oil first.. i know everyone is quick to say rebuild the carbs, but 24:1 is a LOT of oil.. mix the fuel right and change the plugs first. then if that does not cut it, then go to the rebuild..