how many bolts to remove to change water pump

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1989 evinrude 110 HP VRO E110TLCEM

I need to change the impellor for the water pump. I have removed 5 bolts that hold the foot to the motor. Does the trim tab have to be removed like on some Mercury motors to expose a hidden bolt? Or is that all the bolts?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: how many bolts to remove to change water pump

Yes the sixth bolt is under the tab.

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I did not want to twist the bolt off in the trim tab if it was not neccessary. But I guess I will then I can replace it along with the pump parts. Thanks again.

johnson1989

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have pretty much the same motor, yes the tab has to come off. On this model you have to remove the codder pin on the shift linkage and push in. I used a block to hold in place, this will release the shift rod and allow you to drop. Just make sure to replace in same gear you took out and dont spin the shift rod.

gejandsons

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are exactly right "johnson1989". I had to do some searching to find out why the foot only dropped down about 3/4 of an inch. After removing the cotter pin & pushing in on the shift linkage, it disengaged the shift rod. Engine heat alarm still sounds after idling for a few minutes. Water pump impellor looks good by the way. With the muffs on & the water turned on I'm getting a lot of water out various pee holes on the foot but very little out of the exhaust. I'm suspecting a hole in a water jacket or the tube going from the pump to the engine. I placed a rubber hose on the tube that stabs into the water pump & you can blow thru it with no resistance. The air sounds like it is coming out near the area that the flow tube enters the engine. I can't see well enough for a visual inspection.

If the water enters the engine thru this tube, should the 2 exhaust ports & the thru-hub exhaust & the tell-tale be the only places water should be exiting the engine?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Water my or may not exit the exhaust ports if the engine is run on muffs. When on the water and with some rpm water will flow out both ports. More rpm - - more water. Also water will exit severaql drain holes in the lower unit. All of which is normal.