1975 carter fuel pumps

ziggy

Admiral
my question is how do you tell the difference between an automotive carter fuel pump and the marine version? other than if it leaks, the automoitive version will leak into the bilge. and mine did, but that's a hard way to find out.

so if these L6 marine carter fuel pumps were not supposed to leak into the bilge when the diaphram fails, where does it leak too? if it's the marine version... below quote from this thread....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=193866

Don S
user_online.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1311461", true);
Fleet Admiral
fleet_admiral.gif

icon1.gif
Re: Fuel Pump ?s
Quote:
so how is this accomplished in the carter fuel pump? theres no sight glass, and theres no fuel dump back to the carb. and it's a single diaphram pump. my diaphram leaked. and it dripped into the bilge. i'm concerend.
You should be concerned, you have a 1975 model, someone may have put an automotive pump on it back in the seventies. Since fuel pumps used to come unpainted from Merc, paint color is kind of a non issue. The fact that it did leak into the bilge for me would have been an indication it's time to get the proper MODERN new MARINE fuel pump with the safety feature built in.
You got lucky when yours leaked into the bilge, hope it doesn't decide to leak again !!!!
so what would the proper modern new marine fuel pump be that bolts on to my L6.....i don't want to explode.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1975 carter fuel pumps

Merc PN 86234A05 is one possibility.