The bees are coming back, once again

brother chris

Commander
Okay, this year I am going to get a head start on these stupid wasps. They are just starting to come out now.
I am going to Home Depot today to buy some wasp spray, but is there any suggestions on what to spray on my house, or perimeter of the house to prevent them from making nests everywhere?
I don't really like the smell of diesel. Some have suggested that before.
Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
B.C.

P.S. What's with Dockside and all the testosterone going on over there??? GEESH!

Colorado04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: The bees are coming back, once again

If you don't want to spray anything, you can make pretty effective traps for them. My wife usually makes them out of 2 litre plastice pop bottles. She pokes a small hole in the bottom at the center, then puts a little bit of really sweet pop in it. Just enough to fill the dimples. Then puts them out around the cottage. Works great. The little buggers can get in easy enough but they can't find their way out. They end up dying inside. Unbelievable how many will find their way in on a hot sunny day.

Just a though.

C.

brother chris

Commander

That is a good idea. I'll try hanging a couple around the patio and see how many it collects.
I was just hoping that there was some kind of odorless spray I could use.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wasps are not bees, and there are several sorts of wasps.

On the paper wasps that like to build their nests under the eaves of my house I use Black Flag wasp and hornet killer. It sprays a stream up to about 10' and permanently shuts down any building project.

Mud wasps (mud daubers) are a bigger problem here as they are solitary nesters, not communal. The same spray works on them but you have to hunt them down individually.

brother chris

Commander

Thanks, I'm going to Home Depot right now. I'll pick up the Black Flag and give it a shot.
B.C.

Coors

Captain

Never been stung by a mud dauber, I leave them alone, as they feed on my too many spiders.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

True, the mud daubers don't sting (thank goodness) but they can render all sorts of machinery inoperable. Outboard telltale holes, carburetors, etc; just for an example.

ob

Admiral

The mud daubers can sting as they like most all wasps have a stinger.They're just not as belligerant as yellow jackets ,red wasps ,hornets and the like and rarely if ever attack if not handled.I found this out the hard way once many moons ago.:)

rwise

Captain

The problem with the soda bottle trap is it will also trap and kill honey bee's, and we need them.

tommays

Admiral

Up here we call them yellow jackets ?

I get them in paper nests
BIG UNDER GROUND NESTS
mud ones on the sideing

God help you when you trim the bushes and find and agressive nest , which i find every year :)

The underground ones get really nasty when you mow the lawn :) ya think your getting shocked then you run like heck :)

Tommays

brother chris

Commander

Yeah, I don't want to kill the honey bees. I have not made any of the plastic traps yet. I think I will wait and see if the spray will keep them at bay.
I sprayed the boat too, I don't need them under the handle of the cowling on my outboard. That was quite the surprise last year when put my hand inside a nest, when I went to take the top off of the o/b! They came out madder then h*ll.

Coors

Captain

And they like to nest inside the trailer ball hitch- found that the hard way.