Has anyone else been as foolish....

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Has anyone else been as foolish....

Anybody that shows this thread to Mrs. QC is toast . . . and that's all I have to say about that.

mattttt25

Commander

wait a sec... tell her you need the garage/shop to use as a swing space during the paint project. she'll commend you for thinking ahead and you get your shop. then when the shop is done, you come up with another excuse why you can't paint the house. Need to stay one step ahead of them... :)

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alternative idea for ya Boom.

On an episode of mythbusters, Adam built a steel box to paint a room. He set the box in the center of the room making sure the sides of the box were parallel to the walls.

He put a paint bag on each of the sides of the box and loaded the center of the box with explosives. Painted part of a 12' x 12' room in seconds. I emphasize, "part" of a room.

As a friend, I must give you some words of caution, should you try this.

1. First and foremost, don't, I repeat, don't tell Mrs. BY what you are doing. Woman are skeptical of men's ideas by nature. You don't need someone bringing you down...think positive.

2. Make sure Mr's BY is not home, and will be gone for at least 7-8 days. You need time to tidy up a bit afterward.

3. Prior to trying this, you need to understand and accept that having floors and ceilings that are the same color as the walls is, "trendy". Again, don't tell your wife, see #1. When your wife sees what you have done, tell her it's, "shabby Chic" (pronounced sheek). Woman really go for that these days.

4. If you don't like #3, buy stock in a plastic or tarp company. You will need it. With the profits from the stock, it will be like getting paid for painting your own house.

5. It's also shabby chic to paint windows, doors, trim, counter tops, cupboards, furniture and knick knacks the same color as the walls. (see #1)

6. But most important of all, beer goggles make everything look better.

7. If your wife does not drink, then you are going to have to leave her a note explaining the "shabby chic" thing. Wait several days(minimum) for the new "shabby chic" thing to wear on her before returning.

It's a win-win-win-win situation. She gets fresh paint(she wins), you get that new shop(you win), and you get to play with explosives(you win) while getting work done(you win again). You win thrice! If you need a drawing of the "paint box," let me know. :):)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Can't take that long JRJ. Got to start the garage and get a roof on before the fall rain comes. The only way Mrs Boomyal will buy off on the garage/shop is if she gets what she has been whining, er ah begging for for the last 5 years.

That's all the motivation I would need. What, your not done yet? :)

Just do a room a day, and the suffering will end. Then you can get to the important stuff. Like building a shop....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That's all the motivation I would need. What, your not done yet? :)

Just do a room a day, and the suffering will end. Then you can get to the important stuff. Like building a shop....

Easy 'nough for you to say Jason, a room a day! I spent all yesterday moving stuff out of one room, piling it into my sons room (away at school) then moving a bunch of stuff to the center of the room and covering it. And that was only half the room. I still have to move and cover my computer center, the dining table etc.

Then I had to remove all the blinds, sand down the wood trim and prime it in places, recaulk and patch some boo boos in the wall.

Today I should be able to get the windows masked and spray the trim. Probably have to wait two days before I can mask the trim before I roll paint. That, alone is three working days for one room. Whew, I'm exhausted already.

DSCF0629.jpg

DSCF0630.jpg

DSCF0631.jpg

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

So we finally get to see Boom's inner sanctum sanctorum. Almost creepy in a way.... :)

Nothing fun about painting, I'll give ya that. I hate it every time I do it.

Ron G

Commander

Im supose to do it at work every day!!!thats why a sub most out now!i feel for you for sure im with QC the wife wants me to paint our house i did 2 rooms last year.hang in there and just think about the new shop while your doing it!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

So we finally get to see Boom's inner sanctum sanctorum. Almost creepy in a way.... :)

Hope you didn't see anything too incriminating Jason, you know, something politically incorrect, something that i'll get the PC police called or such.:p

Geeze, I feel like Bond-o this morning. I'm down on my knees, hunting and pecking on my daughter's laptop 'cause I have the computer center all disconnected and moved out of the way for painting. All the keys are not in the right place on this laptop keyboard.:eek:

I'll be going for the big spray of all the trim today. Finally got everything moved, covered, sanded, sealed and masked. I just hope my new little Wagner Paint Crew airless sprayer handles the alkyd enamel ok.

Check with you all later.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Alternative idea for ya Boom.

On an episode of mythbusters, Adam built a steel box to paint a room. He set the box in the center of the room making sure the sides of the box were parallel to the walls.

He put a paint bag on each of the sides of the box and loaded the center of the box with explosives. Painted part of a 12' x 12' room in seconds. I emphasize, "part" of a room.

As a friend, I must give you some words of caution, should you try this.

1. First and foremost, don't, I repeat, don't tell Mrs. BY what you are doing. Woman are skeptical of men's ideas by nature. You don't need someone bringing you down...think positive.

2. Make sure Mr's BY is not home, and will be gone for at least 7-8 days. You need time to tidy up a bit afterward.

3. Prior to trying this, you need to understand and accept that having floors and ceilings that are the same color as the walls is, "trendy". Again, don't tell your wife, see #1. When your wife sees what you have done, tell her it's, "shabby Chic" (pronounced sheek). Woman really go for that these days.

4. If you don't like #3, buy stock in a plastic or tarp company. You will need it. With the profits from the stock, it will be like getting paid for painting your own house.

5. It's also shabby chic to paint windows, doors, trim, counter tops, cupboards, furniture and knick knacks the same color as the walls. (see #1)

6. But most important of all, beer goggles make everything look better.

7. If your wife does not drink, then you are going to have to leave her a note explaining the "shabby chic" thing. Wait several days(minimum) for the new "shabby chic" thing to wear on her before returning.

It's a win-win-win-win situation. She gets fresh paint(she wins), you get that new shop(you win), and you get to play with explosives(you win) while getting work done(you win again). You win thrice! If you need a drawing of the "paint box," let me know. :):)

I think I'll pass on that technique this time around CJY. I don't fancy the idea of living with a surrealistic paint scheme, all by my lonesome!;)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Hope you didn't see anything too incriminating Jason, you know, something politically incorrect, something that i'll get the PC police called or such.:p

Naw...I expected to see more capitolistic excess, you know, flat screens on every wall, computer controlled wine cellar, Gulf Stream G5 in the driveway, John Denver style bulk fuel storage tank in the back yard. Instead, it almost seems kinda normal.... :) :)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It may sound goofy, but put on some classical music--Beethoven or Mozart works best for me. I built a 2 car garage, 2 bedroom 1 bath addition and did everything --Footers, Block work, brickwork, subflooring, framing, siding, sheet rock, spackling, painting, and roofing--Myself to those two boy's piano concertos. Then when I got back into the original house to start refurbishing, Every room I did , My wife said "what are you goin doing now?" However, once she saw the results, she was pleased.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Right now I'm taking a break from my 80th sheet of drywall. I see the end of the tunnel now, at least.

Jinx

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Right now I'm taking a break from my 80th sheet of drywall. I see the end of the tunnel now, at least.

Jinx

80th sheet? Whatcha buildin, the Taj Mahal?:eek:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I finished all of the trim work last night, just in time to watch the 9pm addition of Shermans March to the Sea, on the history channel. Meaning no disrespect for my Southern Compatriots, boy could we use a a team like Lincoln, Grant and Sherman, today.

Anyway, this morning all of the white trimwork is beautiful. Took me nearly three days to prepare for it and less than 20 minuts to spray it all.

My new Wagner Paint Crew worked like a champ. Laid that alkyd enamel down like a silk sheet. And it was very quick. As fast as you could wave your arm across a span of wood, it was covered with a fabulous coat of paint. Although it bounced a bit of paint mist back at you, being airless, it did not fill the room with clouds of fumes.

I literally coated the whole project, baseboards, window surrounds and casings and one pocket door, in less time than I could have brushed one of the 3 x 5 windows.

I highly recommend this sprayer. It was 179.95 at Costco.

Trying to find a picture to post, I ran across this sprayer for $99.00.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=24189&DL=MSN1&

Although they say this will spray latex, I would not recommend it. It is a diaphram driven high pressure unit that just does not have what it takes to do undiluted latex reliably.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Nice looking sprayer there Boom, i went and picked up a pressure pot @ Harbor freight and had i known one could get a airless for 100 i would have jumped on that. That pressure pot just doesnt have enough juice to atomize Perfection the way im looking for, that airless would be the shiznit as my son would say.......;)

Last edited:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking sprayer there Boom, i went and picked up a pressure pot @ Harbor freight and had i known one could get a airless for 100 i would have jumped on that. That pressure pot just doesnt have enough juice to atomize Perfection the way im looking for, that airless would be the shiznit as my son would say.......;)

What pressures the pressure pot, TG? Does it use a continuous supply of air or a static charge? Could your compressor be limited? Could you have a tip size issue? Surely you can thin Perfection? I know it is different but I thinned Brightsides with some automotive reducer to paint my bilge using the HVLP gun.

When I sprayed this gloss enamel, it was pretty thick but it came out fast. The gun came with a 413 nozzle. I just bought a 411 nozzle so the next time I can thin the paint a little and maybe stretch it out further.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Boom, just wondering - how bad was the equipment cleanup after using alkyd ename?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:D Just the cost of filling those line's with laquer thinner, i used that type of sprayer for year's, indrustrial sure but there sweet. As to the Perfection all i can say it's different paint, there seem's to be know line between getting it to atomize and drying flat with out orange peel or sagging. the stuff's a real pain...............any bigger tip and she'd just blow out bigger droplet's. The gun is pressureized up to 50 lbs and the comp can keep up with it no problem..........it either shoot's out in drop's or if thinned out to much it get's a orange peel.......roll's pretty damm nice though, that is going to be my next attempt...........ohh and the burbon is on stand by, ready and willing at a moment's notice........;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

ohh and the burbon is on stand by, ready and willing at a moment's notice........;)

Hmmmm? I knew that Perfection was an exotic paint, but I just didn't know that you could thin it wirh bourbon.;)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Boom, just wondering - how bad was the equipment cleanup after using alkyd ename?

BB, I was a little concerned about that, but it wasn't too bad. A couple of hints. Do not spare the paint thinner, but;

a) when you are finished, dump out any remaining paint. Fill the hopper with paint thinner. Remove the nozzle on the gun and aim it back into your paint can for the count of three. That will pump all the paint in the lines back into your container, without waste.

b) either have or get set to have 'reclaimed paint thinner'. I had gallon of it from previous painting issues. I always pour the used thinner into a settling container. The solids drop to the bottom and semi solidify. I then carefully pour off the cleared thinner back into a container and save it for future cleaning functions.

c) take a brush and scrub the inside of the hopper to disolve any paint, reinstall the tip on the gun, spray into a bucket to finish cleaning any paint out of the hose and gun.

d) when the hopper is clean, pour out the original batch of thinner, aim the prime hose into the recyle container and pump out any remaining thinner. Refill with clear thinner and run thru the hose and gun. Once this is done you can leave the thinner until the next time you use it. There is also a filter in the gun handle that should be cleaned.

All in all, if you are organised, have sufficient supplies and get right after it, it is not too bad. Wouldn't want to use it for a small paint job, but this thing makes big jobs, quick and small.

As this unit comes with a power roller setup, I am going to use it with latex. I am highly skeptical that it would pump latex thru the gun, but using the roller, it just has to feed the paint up to the roller, not pump it through a tiny orifice.