1986 60hp Johnson

Spoonfeeder63

Recruit
Greetings to all from the newbie!

OK, So here is my problem, but first, let me give some basics.

I took my 1986 Johnson 60hp into the shop to get the carbs rebuilt. The problem I was having with the motor is that the motor would not idle. In addition, when you gave it gas, you would have to "choke" the motor to get it to get on plane. After you got the motor on plane, it ran fine.

In addition, When I would troll with the boat, at first, the motor would start to "bog down" when you were trolling and for the first 5 minutes or so of trolling, you would have to "choke" the motor to keep it running.

I assumed this was a carb problem thinking I had a leak in a gasket or something like that.

My mechanic rebuilt my cards. It now idles fine BUT, when you try to give it gas, it totally bogs down and he was choking the carbs to get it to get on plane again. He replaced all my carbs with carbs from another 60hp Johnson and the same thing happened.

He checked the fuel pump and there is more than sufficient pressure coming from the fuel pump.

He checked the reed valves and everything is fine.

He replaced the head gasket.

He drained my gas tank and replaced it with new gas and blew out all the lines. He even used his own portable tank with gas and still the same thing happened.

He is under the assumption that now, it is an internal problem as in the motor is not creating enough internal pressure to pull enough gas into the cylinder to create enough power to run the engine when it is under heavy presssure.

Is his assumption accurate and how much is this going to cost me (for example, is this an engine rebuild?) or is there some thing we are missing?

He probably has done other things and if you think of something I may have not mentioned that he performed, ask and I will tell...

Tony

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 60hp Johnson

Welcome Spoonfeeder,

Did he perform a compression check? Check the plugs to see their condition when it stalls? Check for good spark on all cylinders? Just some things to look at....

Spoonfeeder63

Recruit

rickdb1boat said:
Welcome Spoonfeeder,

Did he perform a compression check? Check the plugs to see their condition when it stalls? Check for good spark on all cylinders? Just some things to look at....

Rick,

Yes, yes and yes to all your questions...!... The compression he said is dynamite, the sparks were fine and when he pulled the pugs after running the motor, he saw water on the center plug which in turn, is the reason he replaced the head gasket and the water on the plug problem went away.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

If the compression is good, it should have adequate vacuum to draw fuel in. And this is verified by it's ability to run at higher RPM's.Since all that checks out, it would lead me back to the carbs or a possible linkage/timing problem. More so, being able to get it to run by choking it would point to clogged carbs...

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, I'm leaning towards dirty carbs too. By choking, you are bypassing the carbs and directly getting fuel to the intake manifold. I'd clean'em again.

Is he fully disassembling the carbs and giving them a good cleaning, blowing out with compressed air, new gaskets? OMC carbs have those plugs, which need to also be taken off when cleaning (not just the idle and main jet plugs).

Spoonfeeder63

Recruit

OMC carbs have those plugs, which need to also be taken off when cleaning (not just the idle and main jet plugs).

... Which plugs are you speaking of? Are you talking about the "freeze plug" types that are on the sides???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is from a post further down the page. Yes it's important to pull the jets

Quick-man
Cadet

Re: 83 Evinrude 75hp will not run without w/o choke

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the carbs off and soaked them. Seloc shows a needle valve but there is none. I have three orifices (Seloc does not show this on type I single throat carbs), I am thinking the other one is the mid range orifice. I hope the rebuild kit will come with one of those as well.

I did clean the carbs and thanks to tashasdaddy for the tool specs, I made one today and it worked 100%, now I have one forever. One thing for sure, to do the best possible job you should really take the orifices out, even after soaking for about 2 hours there was still junk in the orifices when I pulled them out, the hi speed was the worst as you would expect, since that is where the fuel stayed to get gunked up.

Since there is no needle valve I am assuming the fixed orifices do the job and I don't need to worry about anything else. There are no adjustments on the carb, besides changing orifices (but why do that). Does anyone have any experience with this type of carb? Am I right that the third orifice is for mid range? I am checking the marina tomorrow to see what they get for a kit with floats but the floats will clean up if they don't have them.

here's the tool to remove the jets: http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1176028992

skoka

Recruit

I had the same issue, had to choke to get the boat up. It was dirty carbs.

jonesg

Admiral

yes they look like little freeze plugs, they have to come out to do it right.
see the youtube video.