OMC Engine Tune UP Spray/Carb Cleaner

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You guys have helped me in the past. What im looking for is a carb cleaner like OMC made by other companies! I know that other companies make this stuff, and I just want to find out what companies and who carries it. I just want a product that will clean the carburetor, but not pay the OMC price.I know the fogger and OMC screws in to the fuel port. This is what I am looking for also.Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks David W Crockett Sr. 8)

ob

Admiral
Re: OMC Engine Tune UP Spray/Carb Cleaner

If you are looking to clean the carbs I hope you're not thinking that using the fuel primer port will do the job using a product like OMC engine tuner.The ports primary function is to use for winterizing with fogging oil and decarbonizing the cylinders with decarb products as the port injection bypasses the carburetors.Cleaning the carbs will require disassembly.Any conventional carburetor cleaner will work for that.Anyhoo,to answer your question ,I'm not aware of any other products that are measurably cheaper than OMC engine tuner.

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know it will not, take the place of rebuild of carbs. I just wanted to see if this is all that is available.. I'm just trying to think ahead a little. Thanks for reply.
David Crockett Sr.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

All of my 1988 through 1992 OMC service manuals for loopers show a picture of a large can of aerosol Gumout, together wit the instruction " Thoroughly, clean components with a mild aerosol solvent". OMC 1992 part # 508147, pg 2-27.

Because the carburetors all have plastic float bowls, the next instruction says:

"Note Do not clean carburetor or its components by submerging in strong carburetor cleaner or hot soaking tank. Strong cleaners might damage components or remove sealing compounds." OMC 1992 part # 508147, pg 2-27.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Johnnyrude's Engine Tuner is the same as Merc's Power Tune. I have never run across it anyplace else and I have tried. The price of either dwarfs the price of a rebuild kit. You'll probably never use it up. The best stuff I've used over the counter is Berryman's B-12 available at Wally World among others. It's the cheap stuff and makes Gumout look like monkey pee. ( Use the spray, not the tin bottle stuff. ) Engine Tuner is best for soaking severe varnishing and not well suited for cleaning passages. The automotive carb soaks you get nowadays is not the same as it was. That stuff is off the market, although some shops may still have some sitting around. It'll dissolve the sealant used to seal aluminum porosity. The stuff you can get now won't. You can tell the old stuff buy smell. You'll swear it just dissolved your nose hairs.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Would not want to put monkey pee in my carburetors, again. Guess the guys at OMC were clueless when they wrote those manuals for every service department to use.

What is the chemical breakdown on the Berryman's B12?
8)

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deep Creep is aerosol version of Sea Foam. It will decarb an engine, just like engine tune. You can remove the regular aerosol button and use a tube assembly from an OMC engine tuner aerosol.

fp

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Again for Info.... I'll check them out. And true I don't want to run monkey pee through mine either....8)
David C

cbass74429

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would carb cleaner that is made for coated throttle bodies work????? It's made so it doesn't strip off teflon,on ford throttle bodies...:%:^
David C

LubeDude

Admiral

Be carefull using automotive products in outboards as there needs to be some lubrication qualities in the cleaner. It should say suitable for marine use somewhere on the can.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

For decarbing, can Merc Power Tune be sprayed right into the plug holes?

-E

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks LD, I usually use Dunk's method but forgot about the part of the FAQ with the instructions on using the sprays (I have an extra can laying around).

-E

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Cbass -- in your original post you said you want to clean the carbs and you want to use the Shrader valve on the primer. It was pointed out to you that injecting any cleaner into that port will not do anything for the carbs. That port injects whatever you are injecting behind the carb. That port is used for fogging and removing carbon and won't do squat for the carbs. Also, spraying any cleaner/decarb agent through the throat of the carb does little for the carbs as well, other than cleaning the throttle plate and the throttle bore. Unfortunately it's the inside of the carb (jets and passages) that need cleaning and there are only two ways to get there. Fuel system cleaners can be added to the fuel, but the best way is to disassemble them, clean them and reassemble with new kits.