choosing between Wooldridge or Xpress

newbeeboater

Cadet
I have never owned a boat before. We are on the Delaware River in PA where the water can get pretty low. I have been out with friends fishing and they have torn up their props, so they strongly recommended an aluminum boat that can take shome shots with an outbaord jet. I have a line on a 17' Xpress and a 17' Wooldridge Alaskan both have 90hp Mercury 2 stroke motors. I am looking to go fishing with my kids on Saturdays and as little have little service problems as can reasonably be expected. The Wooldridge is $3,500 more than the Xpress. I would appreciate any input.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: choosing between Wooldridge or Xpress

Eh? I looked around on the web site for Xpress and I could not find any models that compare to the Wooldridge Alaskan. Just which Xpress model are you considering?

Kelly Cook

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Ok. I had a 17' Tracker aluminum boat that was very similar to the Xpress HD SC.

But against the Wooldridge this is a apples vs oranges mismatch. The Xpress is meant for fairly quiet water, lakes and creeks. The Wooldridge is for bucking current in big rivers. Small wonder the Wooldrige is more expensive. It is very simply a more serious boat. Your fishing buddies should be able to help with which boat is a better fit for your waters.

I'm not a fan of jet outboards. If you expect to chew up props, simply make sure they are cheap props. Run used props and carry a spare or two. They are easy to change right there on the boat. Run a prop instead of jet foot and you can run a smaller (lower priced) motor. My 17' Tracker did fine with just a 60 HP 2-stroke. But it was not a jet.

Kelly

newbeeboater

Cadet

Thanks for the insight. Assuming that I am going to get a jet anyway, do you think the tunnel hull of the Wooldridge is a significant factor? Also, do you think one of these is easier to manuver than the other?

Thanks,

Larry

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

The tunnel hull raises the foot of the motor, so can run in extremely shallow water. A tunnel also results in a poorer holeshot, and poorer response in turning. However, the actual amount of the difference in these things may not be so much as to be objectionable.

Tunnel hulls are a specialty solution. If tunnel hull boats are not common in your particular area, then this could make it harder to find a buyer when the time to sell comes. Here are a couple more threads on aluminum boats that may help -

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=955425

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=1;gtid=1005448

Kelly

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

newbeeboater

Cadet

Kelly,

The plot thickens. The Wooldridge has about 150hrs on it and is a 2002, the Xpress has 11hrs on it and is a 2005. They are now only about $1,000 apart, although the Wooldridge will require me to ship it across the country. Both are original owners and appear to be in good shape. What do you think??????
:/

Larry

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Err, "ship it across country" does not bode well for a first boat, IMHO. You might have to ship it back when the time to sell comes!

Xpress is a well regarded brand. But be SURE this HD SC is really the style boat you want. My Tracker (nearly identical design) was very unhappy in rough water. And a full width windshield can be a wonderful thing on a cool morning.

Aluminum brands that get my attention are Alumacraft, G3, Lowe, Polar Kraft, Princecraft, and Tracker.

Kelly

newbeeboater

Cadet

Why might I need to ship it back to sell it? I don't understand.

I am working under the assumption that a flatter hull will draft less water than a V. Am I wrong? My friend has an inboard jet and tore a hole in his Tracker. That has me kind of worried.

Either way we can get areas of the Delaware of 4-6" of water that I will need to plane over. With that in mind which brands do you like.

Larry

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

When it comes to fishing boats, the various brands are often regional. Example, Wooldridge dealers are all in the PacNW. None in the east. So the Wooldridge brand would be unknown to boat shoppers in the east. And no shoppers would be interested in an unknown boat brand.

The brands that I listed in my last post have more of a nation wide distribution. Not regional brands.

YIKES! 4" is seriously skinny water! Typically a jon boat would be used there. The boat is so cheap you don't care if it gets beat up! Frankly, I don't have the balls to power through 4" of water. Instead I would be going dead slow polling, or running an electric trolling motor.

Virtually all aluminum builders offer jon boats. These things are so doggone simple and cheap, it really doesn't matter what the brand is.

Kelly

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I can be reached by Private Message on the www.BoatingABC.com site. You will have to register there to use their PM channels, but fear not, good site.

Kelly