Hustler Props

GlasstronJim

Seaman
Hello, has anyone ever ran a Hustler prop before? I just put one on my 70hp johnson (to cold here in Iowa to try it out yet) They are supposedly quicker, faster,and smother.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hustler Props

I ran a 15P and 17P Hustler. I did not think it was much different than any other aluminum prop. I sold my Hustler's on Ebay.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I ran a 13 1/2" x 24P Ballistic HP SS and a 14 1/4" x 23P Hustler alum on the same boat...light fast.

Here's the data:

Hustler, at speeds below 30 mph had much better gripping of the water (less slip) which means a nice smooth hole shot and good feel of control at midrange. You could sit right at plane and hold it without the boat wanting to surge on you. It loaded the engine and cut rpms for any given speed. Ok here but this is not where I run.

At WOT
Hustler was turning only 5000 at 44 mph
Ballistic spun on up to 5600 and 50 mph

I later discovered that the speedometer was a little fast on the high end but that should have affected both readings (2 mph).

So either the blade thickness (much thicker due to aluminum) or extra diameter of the Hustler cost me rpm's (shouldn't have been that much) whereas they should have increased when I dropped pitch 1". So loosing 600 when I should have gained 200-250 is a lot of drop. Additionally the top speed fell 6 mph with only one inch in pitch reduction.

So either all the Hustler advertised whoopla isn't all that great or the Ballistic is a higher performer than it gets credit for.

Mark

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I had a Hustler on my 55hp Johnson and here are my findings with one person on board.

Stock OMC aluminum 11.75x17 prop
top speed 30.5mph @ 5600rpm

Hustler 11.75x17 prop
top speed 29.5mph @ 5200rpm (lugged my engine BAD)

Hustler 12x15 prop
Top speed 31.5mph @ 5800rpm

The hustler had one heck of a good bite and I never got it to blow out on hard turns (manual trim, pin in 2nd hole) where as the stock pro would blow out on a hard turn. If your going from a stock omc aluminum I wuld recommend dropping low to the next lower pitch hustler.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Probably because the Hustler is cupped and that acts as additional pitch. Most use 1" for the effect of cupping.

Mark

GlasstronJim

Seaman

Texasmark said:
Probably because the Hustler is cupped and that acts as additional pitch. Most use 1" for the effect of cupping.

Mark

The next pitch down is 13, and it looks like they have a new hub system to. I will see how this 13.75x15 works. I think if I go down 2 inches its going to slow me down,although I am only running 5200 rpm at WOT 32 mph with the beat up mich. wheel 13.75x15. (I really wanted more speed!)

John_S

Rear Admiral

I have a couple of the old style hustlers (silver) that I run on a Nissan 40C. They are cupped props. My boat only runs around 30mph, so don't see the high speed issues noted above. Hustler indicates that their new hub is less restrictive than the old, possibly where some of the WOT rpms are lost.

GlasstronJim

Seaman

All I can do is try it, if it does not work go back to the Michigan wheel.

Last edited:

walleyehed

Admiral

I'd sell'em both and fix the problem completely by installing a Stiletto and have it over with. You'll gain speed and economy.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Kenny,

Haven't seen you for awhile. I have been off since Saturday when I guess they changed the software like they said was coming back in January time frame. Had to install the new Bookmark.

I agree with you on the get away from the Hustler and go and get a prop. He said he wants more speed and I think he will have to go with the thinner blades and other goodies that the Hustler can't give him even though it's high rake, cupped, and ported.

Mark

GlasstronJim

Seaman

Took it out today, same speed 32mph, at 5000 rpm. It was much smoother than the old one. Came back home drilled the 7\32 holes in it. Hope to gain some rpms that way. try it out tommorow. What do you guys think? (Wishful thinking or what?)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Where did the hole drilling topic originate.....don't see any reference in this thread.
-------------------

If you are talking about venting your prop by drilling holes in the side of the hub you need to get it right. DHadley who spends a lot of time on the OMC site has a diagram on how to do it.

Butttttt they are not for top speed rpms. Their purpose is to unload the prop in coming out of the hole (getting up on plane from a dead stop) allowing the engine rpms to run up fast which develops your hp fast and decreases your hole time....for water skiing and/or lead arsed boats.

At higher rpm's the water pressure seals them off and they are useless.

Mark

GlasstronJim

Seaman

Ya Mark that is where I got it from, an old thread of his. I guess it probably won't help me then. It needed more off the line, but I also need more wot rpm's. Does i-boats rebiuld mich wheel props?If I would get a Stilleto should I go down a pitch or stick with a 15? My beat up mich. wheel 13.75x15 would run at 32mph at 5200rpm. I also just found on my serial # plate that my rpm range is 4500 to 5500rpm's, and it makes 70hp at 5000, so according to that I'm in there. So what can I do for a little more top end?

Last edited:

GlasstronJim

Seaman

I just took it out again and it is a lot quicker off the line, and I gained about 100 rpm on top end. Everyone on the motor forum says with todays gas I should get it up to 5800. Is there anything I can try other than a new prop?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

If you gained 100 at top end says to me that it is doing a little venting there too.

A good decarb might get you some more rpm's.

I changed plugs, SG to standard and picked up 300 rpms.

Cleaning out your boat of stuff that you never use, nor intend to use would help too. Amazing how much stuff you can stow away over time that you don't need.

I run my engines over the upper limit rating and have never had a problem as a result. I understand that some engines (newer 4 cyl mercs) will break a crank doing that but I don't have one of those.

Something to think about. After running my Hustler as mentioned above, I thought about grinding off the leading edge of the blade to make it sharper and just see what difference that made in rpm's. I realize that I would need to grind the same amount of material off each blade, but since the prop is useless to me anyway and I could buy a new one for $60 (less hub) what the heck.

Mark

walleyehed

Admiral

If we're running an outboard here, lets lift it 1 set of holes and see what we gain...if it reacts in a positive manner, lets go another set ...
I've seen anywhere from 50 to 150RPM gain per hole up.