steering stiff

hammyloz

Seaman
hi all
i have a mid steer 18ft fletcher arrow mid 70s build 2 questions
1: the steering cable is too long would this be the cause of it being really hard to steer even at WOT and can i cut it down dont know what steering it is but is about an inch 1/2 thick
2: has anyone seen a mid steer fletcher arrow before????
1982 115 merc blueband

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: steering stiff

not sure by the term mid steer, but i have a center console, where the steering cable runs under the floor, back to the motor. My cables has about 5-6 curves (bends) in it. this make it harder to steer. the more gentle the bend the easier to steer, disconnect the steering at the engine. the engine should turn easily, the check the cable by turning the wheel. if it's the original cable it is probably in need on replacing. if you like you can post some pictures

tashasdaddy

load your pictures to photobucket, then clik the small box under the pictures you want to post, go to the bottom of the page, clik generate HTLM. it will go to another page, about the 3rd section down it will say thumb nails for message boards, clik the box, and copy. then when posting in the forum, at the end of the post just paste the HTML, and click add reply. this is the easiest way to post pictures

hammyloz

Seaman

thanks next time im up there ill get some pics
its a centre console but over to the right hand side

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree with tas. My current boat was built in 2001 and the cable was bad so it's easy to see where a 20 or 30 year old cable can cause problems. Teleflex-Morse are the big names on the block today and make fine products.

Just keep the S curves to a min (measure before you order) and don't kink it during installation....even a little. You'll bend the center rod and never recover from it.

Mark

hammyloz

Seaman

hope this is more info
disconnected th MORSE steering and it is the engine that is stiff
mercury blueband 115hp 1982
is there a way of getting it greased or what is involved on loosening the steering

tashasdaddy

there should be some zerk fittings for grease on the pivot, may have to tilt motor to find them. while you at it grease everyone you find.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

If ya can, pull the steering tilt tube rod. If its free, your Merc swivel bushings are shot...major tear down. Get the steering off, and turn the motor..you will know in a second..​

hammyloz

Seaman

i have taken steering off and it is the engine thats hard but not rock hard i can still go out an play and also turn quick enough so should i try thr grease first??????????