Need some advice guys. I got a good scare Saturday.

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need some advice guys. I got a good scare Saturday.

I'm wondering if maybe that much vacuum in your fuel pump tore up the membrane inside and now you've got a fuel leak in through the pulse orifice. It would explain why it's hard to prime too. Do you ever get a nice firm bulb when you prime or does it go soft pretty quickly?

It has never really stayed firm. It will firm up for a bit, but once running, it will get soft pretty quick. However, I seldom have to re-prime the system. This is the one thing that I never did, was to rebuild the fuel pump, although I do have the kit on hand. Do you suppose I should remove, clean, and replace the fuel pump prior to trying the auxillary tank. There is no mention as to how to do this in the service manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One other note, the fuel pump has no screen (fuel filter). This is why I added the in-line filter. I have some pieces of stainless steel screen material which I could cut to make a screen, if this is possible. I just don't know if one could fabricate one, having never dealt with rebuilding a pump. Anyone have any idea if I could do this? Thanks again............ ALAN

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You really need the screen in the fuel pump to protect the pump and the rest of the system. It only costs $3.00+/- at your local dealer. Part # 312675.

When you use the portable tank, be sure to use a different primer bulb and at least 5/16 hose.

You can easily test your fuel pump by putting a test guage in line between the fuel pump and the carburetors. Look for 1 PSI at 600 RPM.​

Theoutdoorsman

You really need the screen in the fuel pump to protect the pump and the rest of the system. It only costs $3.00+/- at your local dealer. Part # 312675.

When you use the portable tank, be sure to use a different primer bulb and at least 5/16 hose.

You can easily test your fuel pump by putting a test guage in line between the fuel pump and the carburetors. Look for 1 PSI at 600 RPM.​

Ezeke.... I have no access to the guage your referring to. Thanks a bunch for the part number!!! I'll see if they have one in stock. The portable tank does have its own primer bulb and fuel line, so I should be OK there. Could this rattle and missing be the result of a fuel delivery issue? Thanks again......... ALAN

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"Could this rattle and missing be the result of a fuel delivery issue?"

In my opinion, that would only be likely if air is getting into the system, or if fuel is flowing into the engine from the fuel pump via the pulse hole.

Theoutdoorsman

In my opinion, that would only be likely if air is getting into the system, or if fuel is flowing into the engine from the fuel pump via the pulse line.

"Pulse line"??? Are you referring to the vacum line attached to the bottom of the intake? And your saying this could be an internal problem? Yes?

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 79 140 does not have a pluse line, it has a port that leads to the number 4 crank space. Did you re-torque the fuel pump ?

Theoutdoorsman

I haven't yet removed anything as I am trying to locate the screen/filter. My local dealer doesn't have one in stock. Does anyone know where I can locate the diagram and specs for rebuilding the fuel pump. I already have the kit, but I'd sure like to see/read the steps to rebuild. The service manual simply states to replace the pump and there is no mention of how, or what steps to take, regarding rebuild. Thanks again......... ALAN

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pump is operated by the action of the piston moving back and forth and creating a pulse. If the fuel pump is faulty, under some conditions fuel can be pulled into the engine from the fuel pump.​

Air entering the fuel system at any point has nowhere to go but through the engine where it causes all kinds of problems including misfires and meltdowns due to the lean condition. Air can get in from fast turns on an near empty tank, a corroded pickup in the tank, poor hose connection, etc.​

From the fuel pump through the tank, air leaks tend to affect all of the pistons, whereas leaks in the carburetor hoses and carburetor gaskets tend to affect specific pistons.​

Temporary use of clear hoses may reveal air bubbles and help in isolating leaks.​

I would be happy to help rebuild the pump but I have never done one.​

72SideWinderSS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alan,
I followed your thread on the rebuild of your 140.
If you can handle that, whatch worried about a little ol fuel pump for?
You appear to be very thorough in your endevors. Just disassemble the pump and replace all componants in the pump with the parts in the kit, paying close attention to the orentation of the parts removed.
After you rebuild the pump and run the motor a few times retorque the pump.

Theoutdoorsman

Thanks for your vote of confidence SideWinder72SS........ :)

Ok........ Here's what I've found so far. This first photo is of the gasket where the fuel filter is supposed to be. It appears to have been pinched possibly letting a little air into the system........

picture2.jpg

This photo is of the wires running from the stator to the starboard side power pack. Notice it has been rubbing the flywheel and the wire was now exposed. How possible is it that this was my problem all along? I'll lake test tomorrow on both the auxillary tank and on-board tank as well and get back to you guys on my findings..... P.S..... I peeled back the cover for illustration purposes, but it was obviously worn, as you can tell.

picture1.jpg

Last edited:

iwombat

Captain

Yeowch!

That wire is nasty business. I'd say you probably found your rattle at the very least.

Theoutdoorsman

Runs and sounds like a champ again!!!!............... BUT............. At WOT it wants to stall out on me. This is exactly what happened to me in the first place. I suppose I've been chasing my tail on this the whole time. I am wanting to assume that this power pack, because of the shorting against the flywheel, is probably well on its way to going out. The outboard runs and sounds excellent at ALL ranges, with the exception of WOT. At 5000-52000 rpm's, she'll purr all day long. When I nail it (should turn 5900 rpm @ WOT), it accelerates for about 1/8 mile and then, blaaahhhhh, down she goes. It never stalled all the way out, just slows down as if it's threatening to die, and later recovers. No problems accelerating again afterwords though, however, if I do, it will eventually stall like this again. To me, this sounds more like the power pack getting hot under load and failing. Would anyone agree with this? If I test this pack can I be absolutely certain ,one way or the other, whether it's bad or not? I've heard mixed opinions on this. Some people say, "They're either good or they're bad" and some say "They can get hot and break down". What's your opinions gentlemen?

WTPhantom309

Seaman

Had the same problem with my 77 140hp rude, after gutting the anti siphon valve it ran like it should.

Theoutdoorsman

The anit-siphon valve within the fuel pick-up tube, has already been removed. Hmmm......?

iwombat

Captain

After you fixed that wire, did you check and clean all your grounds? I'll bet you've got some nicely charred ground connection someplace that picked up the electrical slack for all that arcing.

Theoutdoorsman

After you fixed that wire, did you check and clean all your grounds? I'll bet you've got some nicely charred ground connection someplace that picked up the electrical slack for all that arcing.

I've inspected all the wiring and, as far as I can tell, everything appears fine. But I'll double check just to make sure. Does anything else come to mind?

Theoutdoorsman

All wiring is free of charring and ground connections are tight. Hmmm? I'm going to double check my link and sync to insure everything is fine there too. Hmmmmm? It's gota be something so simple and I'm just simply overlooking it. In the meantime, any other thoughts/opinions?

iwombat

Captain

Well, shoot. There goes that idea. Another possibility is a mis-adjusted float. It could be letting fuel trickle in, but when you need to go WOT it won't allow enough fuel to flow through.

That's about all I can come up with for now.

Theoutdoorsman

I think I may have found the problem. The bottom screw, on the plate which holds the throttle and shift cables in place, had worked loose and is now missing. The throttle cable was basically hanging loose in there and wasn't being held stationary. I would assume the timing was advancing, but the throttle was a little behind because it couldn't open fully. I picked up a replacement screw today and tightened it back down again. I'll lake test again tomorrow and let you guys know what/if anything changes......... :)