1980 V4 85hp Rough Start & Power Loss

Waljax

Cadet
Here are the symptoms. I have a 1980 V4 85hp. It rarely will start without using starting fluid. The plugs look a bit wet. I've cleaned them and checked the spark and all seems well in that department. Once started, it doesn't have a lot of power. It used to do almost 50mph and now it will go about 35mph on a good day. I start it by clicking the key once and holding the choke for about 10 seconds. It will sputter and sputter but doesn't want to start. Also, when I shut down the motor I always see gas film in the water for a while. I'm not sure if this is normal. I did notice today that some gas is leaking somewhere and it left a small puddle in the back of the boat after sitting for a few days. Could this all be fuel related or is there something I'm missing? I wouldn't expect the plugs to be wet if it's not getting enough fuel. Thanks-Mike

Walker

Captain
Re: 1980 V4 85hp Rough Start & Power Loss

Sounds like a compression test is in order.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

welcome to iboats. NEVER use starter fluid on a 2 cycle engine, it has no oil, and strips oil from engine surfaces, also burn so hot it can burn a hole in a piston. use premixed gas, i a squeeze or spray bottle. do a compression check.

Waljax

Cadet

Thanks guys. I ran a compression test this afternoon and here's what I found.
#1-125 psi, #2-119 psi, #3-124, & #4-119 psi. Does this indicate anything to you guys? Thanks-Mike

tashasdaddy

are you raising the fast start lever, when trying to start. have yu checked spark on all 4 with a spark tester. $10 at auto parts store. compression numbers are good. also when were the carbs last cleaned and reassemble with a rebuild kit.? if you have good spark, and you have good compression, leads me to carboration, clogged, gunky carbs.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It indicates that that motor is in good shape. Check that your choke butterflys are actually closing while using the key or just manually choking it. I would guess from your discription that the floats are not adjusted right and flooding the cylinders and the starting fluid drys the plugs out so it starts at first. The pooled gas can come from overflowing carbs, which also will flood the cyls so much that they will cut out or actually not fire. The inlet needles may also be worn out so that they do not completly seat also causing the carbs to overflow meaning that the fuel level is to hisgh in the float bowl. The slick on the water says that there is too much gas and that there is unburned gas exiting the system in enough quanity to cause the slick that your seeing. Check all fuel lines for leaks while pumping primer ball to make sure that is not where the gas is coming from and also pump it to put pressure on it and watch the carbs to see if you can see them overflowing while the engine is off. But my guess is that if you have a strong spark on all cyls that you rebuild and clean all carbs and make sure to put new needle and seats and floats in the carbs.

-nate

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

After you do the compression test, and everything clemsonfor said, you may want to disconnect every ignition wire at the engine, thoroughly clean and reconnect, paying particular attention to the grounding wires.

Waljax

Cadet

Thanks for the advice guys. I've already done several of those things but I'll give it a good going over. Glad to know it doesn't sound like anything serious.

Waljax

Cadet

Ok. I've been hard at work but I've got a couple more questions.

First, I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. They were pretty darn clean as I did this last year as well.

I'm still tracking down the fuel leak although I've run into another problem now. I've got no spark on the number 4 cylinder. I had an intermittent problem with this last year. I don't think it's the coil because I have a spare new coil and same result with both. I've turned the engine over and put a volt meter on the leads coming from the powerpack and i've got nothing coming from the lead that goes to the #4 coil. I've disconnected and inspected quite a few of the connections with no luck.

I've got a manual for this but it covers several motors and doesn't cover mine very well. From the manual it looks like I should have teminals on the powerpack and mine doesn't. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Mike

Waljax

Cadet

Thanks for all the help guys. I've always been handy with engines but have found out quickly that a boat motor is no lawn mower or motorcycle. I've got a couple more questions for the experts.

1)I've been using Champion Spark Plugs UL77V with no ground electrode. They are the same model (but new plugs) that were in the motor when I bought it. The recommended plug is QL77JC4. I've assumed that I'm using the better plug but wonder if this is affecting my performance at all.

2)Also, I do raise the fast start lever when I'm starting. I notice that the choke butterflies are closed with the lever down or up. The only time they open is when I put it in gear. Is this normal?

3)I didn't adjust the float levels to any specs. But they were even with the top of the bowl gasket and I read somewhere that is where they should be. Is this correct.

4)Still trying to track down my loss of spark.

Waljax

Cadet

I swapped power packs tonight and the other pack worked fine on the 2/4 cylinder side. I guess that was my spark problem.

tashasdaddy

the float should be inline with the carb body when the carb is turned upside down.