115 Johnson not firing ? 1984 V-4

Hey guys, I really need some wisdom, I am new to this stuff. I am not firing on the left side of the engine so I bought a set of ignition coils last week and replaced them. Checked em and everything was firing great. So I rebuilt the carburetors today and she wouldn't fire up.

So I pulled the plugs, checked for spark, and on both sides of the engine they were dead. Is it common to lose both power packs at the same time or are they connected? Also could it possibly be the stater? I check the plug from the stator to the power pack while turning over it read 12V or close to something like that. What do you all make of this.

Thanks,
Jason
Stuart, Fl.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Johnson not firing ? 1984 V-4

Sounds like you may have grounded the kill wire. Check the emergency cut off at the control. Then try disconnecting the black and yellow wire at the engine. With the black and yellow wire disconnected, you cannot turn off the engine with the switch if it starts, so be prepared.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Are you checking for spark with all plugs out?

No I just have the top plugs on both sides out. What should I be doing. I have two out total and with channel locks I am putting the plug against the block and turn on the motor.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The ignition needs to have the RPM at around 250 to 300 RPM. We usually eliminate spark as the problem by rigging something to see the spark while cranking with no load. If you get a 3/8" to 7/16" spark with no load and no plugs in, you figure that you are not turning fast enough and try a more powerful battery.

The CDI unit that they sell at iboats can be used or, you could make something out of wood and nails.

http://www.iboats.com/Cdi_Spark_Gap...54637040--list_time.1174866586--view_id.38089

I got it working just like you said it was just grounded farther down the line. What happened is was cranking it over with all of the accessories plugged in not knowing the owner before grounded the vhf radio to it(black & Yellow line).
But once again thank you very much I would not have been able to do it with out you.
Thanks
Jason.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Tight lines, Jason 8)

Could I ask you another ? its about the trim and tilt. I cant seem to get the motor to speed up. It goes up and down fine, but when all the way up. I bring it back down and the two small trim units go in first one at a time then the main cylinder goes down. Is that supposed to be like that. Seems like it should be the other way around. What do you make of this. The boats wiring is all messed up. Could something be crossed.

Could I ask you another ? its about the trim and tilt. I cant seem to get the motor to speed up. It goes up and down fine, but when all the way up. I bring it back down and the two small trim units go in first one at a time then the main cylinder goes down. Is that supposed to be like that. Seems like it should be the other way around. What do you make of this. The boats wiring is all messed up. Could something be crossed.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Fully charged battery required.

The range is +/- 65º with 15º on the trim cylinders and 50º on the tilt cylinder. When lowering, once the motor contacts the trim rods they should begin to move.

Make sure that you have adequate fluid by topping up the unit and cycling up and down several times.

In use with a fully charged battery.

When lowering, the trim rods move without contact from the motor.

It is a weird cycle when lowering. First, one of the two rods moves completely in, then the second, and then the third main tilt cylinder. Takes a while to trim down.

I have checked the fluid when completely up is correct. Then I filled it completely up. I think it might not have enough in it. How do I refill the unit. Would that cause the weird cycle.

Again thank you so much for your time.

Sorry typo:

I have checked the fluid when completely up is this correct. Then I filled it completely up. I think it might not have enough in it. How do I refill the unit. Would that cause the weird cycle.

Again thank you so much for your time.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When the motor is down fully, the trim rams are supposed to continue to retract all of the way down. When I store my boats, I grease the trim rams and take them all the way down sio they won't corrode.