Evinrude 200 double fire

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I haven't needed any engine help in a while, but I do have a question now.

I have 76 200HP Ev. in great condition, no corrosion, comp is 108 to 115, starts easy warm or cold and idles at 650 to 700 very well, new coils, stats, pump and head gaskets, The only thing I haven't been able to do, is get past about 5,400 RPM. I did notice when I checked the timing that it would double fire occasionally, I don't know the complications this may cause, if any, or what parts I need to replace.

Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 200 double fire

A double fire is when 2 cylinders are firing at the same time. You'll see it on the flywheel with a timing light.

There's a couple of things to look at. First make sure the pick up on the light isn't picking up a signal from another wire. Seperate the wires as much as possible.

If you're sure it's double firing, mark top dead center for each cylinder on the flywheel and write the number above the line. We usually do it with some White Out. It shows up good and is easy to use. You don't have to be exact with TDC, just very close. We're not looking for degrees, just the number of the cylinder.

Run the motor again and see which two are firing at the same time. Once we know which 2 are crossing we can look for the cause. It's pretty rare but it will happen. Most times it's just the timing light picking up another signal.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Yep,I was thinking a transient signal as well.

DHP

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'll check it again and post the results.

Thanks.