Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone,

I just finished rebuilding the carbs and fuel pump in my 1993 Mercury 40 horse outboard. I drained the oil injection tank in the process of getting the carbs and fuel pump off and now that I am ready to refill it I am wondering if I would be better off with the new synthetic oils that are out there. I bought this engine last year and I can only assume that it has had regular 2 stroke oil in it in the past. Is it safe to switch over to a synthetic if an engine has run regular stuff in the past? Does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Synthetic 2 Stroke Oil

No problem switching. Full and semi synthetic will smoke less.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I switched to synthetic 3 years ago.
Less smoke, less fouling.
Pennzoil full synthetic is only $20 a gallon at Menards.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just rebuilt? I suggest that you use petro oil for break in, then switch to synthetic.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Agree with JB. Somewhere I read about not using Syn's till you get some wearin on your engine so that the rings will seat. May have been on the Mobil 1 site. I know Mobil 1 is for road vehicles, but OB's have rings and all too.

I either use Merc prem plus or Penn prem plus. Merc doesn't say if it's syn or not but it looks and runs suspiciously like the Penn Syn.

Mark

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

The engine was not rebuilt, just the carbs and fuel pump. I think im going to try some of that pennzoil full synthetic, I like thats its biodegradeable and offers better protection. Now I'm just mad that I have a gallon of regular quiksilver stuff from last year!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just be sure to use premix at the proper ratio until you prove that the oil injection is working. Better to have too much oil than not enough.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with Frank. If you want to switch to full synthetic oil then go for it. It will cost a few more bucks but I think it’s worth it. I use the Penz oil. Some will agree some will disagree it’s your money.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

full synthetic works great. I've been using the stuff for years in my Yamaha snowmobiles and the smoke/smell is GREATLY reduced and the pistons have very little carbon buildup compaired to when ran regular 2 stroke oil.

studlymandingo

Commander

Agreed on the smoke. I wouldn't let the regular oil go to waste, mix it with some of the synthetic blend oil. As long as it is all TCW3 rated, you'll be safe.

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the opinions guys. I have a gallon of the regular stuff left that I'm going to use and then I'll switch over to synthetic, no point in letting that go to waste. For $20 a gallon the synthetic is probably a better deal than the regular quiksilver stuff.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Even the semi-synthetic is a blessing when it comes to smoking. I use Pennzoil semi and it really makes a difference....

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice

I recomend synthetic all the way. My favorite is Royal Purple which is top of the line IMO. I know quite a few people who run Amsoil which is a great product too.

Plug fouling becomes almost non-existent, but the first tankful of a good synthetic might clean some carbon out of your cylinder heads and blacken the plugs a bit. Use the original spark plugs (assuming they are acceptable) for the first tankful and then replace them with new and you will be surprised how long they last with synthetic two stroke oil.