99 johnson 115 loop

Scott51

Cadet
My first post. Last time out motor started running rough, rpm varies coughs, smokes. But when I idle around a while then gun it,it's fine again , when I hit rough water
it started again but this time it wont stop running rough.
fixed 2 leaking fuel lines, sounds pretty good when I pull off air intake silencer, Put it back on and it's rough again.
Any Ideas?
Scott

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 99 johnson 115 loop

sounds like it could be trash in the carbs....what engine do you have?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

ddennis, a 1999 115 is a 60* V4 looper.

Scott51, what spark plugs are you using?

Scott51

Cadet

I did have champion, I thought they were fouled, So I put in new ones. I know I should have used the champs, but I was out of town and all they had was autolite. But in my defence, it started before I changed plug type.
Scott

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Let's get the Champions back in there. Those motors can be pretty finiky about plugs. It wouldn't hurt to clean all the coil grounds too. I have a feeling it'll have something to do with the optic "eye" but let's do the easy, basic stuff first.

Scott51

Cadet

Dhadley said:
Let's get the Champions back in there. Those motors can be pretty finiky about plugs. It wouldn't hurt to clean all the coil grounds too. I have a feeling it'll have something to do with the optic "eye" but let's do the easy, basic stuff first.

Will Do! But what and where is the optic "eye"?
Scott

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The optic eye or optical ignition sensor basically replaces the points/ distributor and controls the spark and timing. They can have problems, here is a post of what happened to mine a while back:

http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=28;gtid=1109747;gpid=1109747#gpid1109747

But there are a number of other things that may be your problem.... clogged carb (s), air in the fuel lines, faulty VRO, need for link and sync adjustments, clogged fuel filter, the list goes on. Start with the basics first. Search this forum for similar problems and you may find an answer.

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way, I had a similar problem to yours on my '99 115 and it was the VRO. There must have been a pinhole leak in the internal diaphram and it was mixing too much oil with too little fuel. That being said VRO's often get blamed unfairly for many problems when they are fairly reliable units. Is there anything that happened with the engine that could have triggered this? I.E. it started after getting a new tank of gas...or...you let your brother in law borrow the boat, etc?

Scott51

Cadet

Checked jets, cleaned grounds, fuel filter check OK, Champion plugs back in. Runs better, but still surges.
How does the VRO come apart, easy job or do I have to pull it? Is a new kit needed after I peek inside?
Scott

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You would have to take the VRO off but it isn't very difficult. I believe there is a procedure to test it with a vacuum pump / guage. You should be able to get a rebuild kit or an entire new VRO but they are pricey. I'm not sure how much you can see inside because a problem would often be cause by a tiny pinhole. Here is a site with some information on VRO's: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

What do your spark plugs look like? Wet / dry / brown /black?

Scott51

Cadet

2 brown, 2 wet & a little black.
Thank-you for the help,
Scott

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay now we're getting somewhere. It sounds like you are either getting poor, weak or no ignition on those two cylinders or those carbs are messed up.

They are wet because they are getting too much fuel or not burning it at all. If it is both top cylinders or both bottom cylinders it could be the coil pack because each pack controls two cylinders. Clean the coil grounds first and check for loose connections. Start the engine and pull off the spark plug wire on each of the fouled plugs separately. See if this makes a difference in how the engine is running. If if bogs or drops RPMs with each wire pulled then the coil should be good and carbs are likely your problem. Most likely you would need to pull, clean realllly well and rebuild them. If you dont have a manual you should buy one.

Good Luck