Engine that snatches on low rpm

Mickesrx

Cadet
Hi!

I am new at this forum and it feels good to be here.
I have a problem with my Evinrude 65 HP 1965.
At low RPM the engine snatches, it is very hard to get the engine to increase rpm.
It also stops after a few seconds and after that it is very hard to get the engine running again.
I have tried to solve the problem but i have not come up with any solution so i hope that anyone here can help me because i am tired of not be able to use the engine.

Thank`s
Mikael

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine that snatches on low rpm

do a compression check, spark check, auto parts store sells spark checkers for about $10. don't just hold the plug against the block to check. when you say snatches what do you mean? what's the history of this motor, new to you, had for ever, what have you tried. what do the coils , plug wires, gas lines look like. thats enough for now.

Mickesrx

Cadet

Thank`s for a fast answer!
If i say that the engine goes uneven, do you know what i mean?
I bought this engine for two years ago, before that it was an older man who owned it.
I have replaced the spark plugs, oil, and a new fuel tank, a new pump for the fuelhose that goes to the fueltank, the old ones was so bad so i thought it was a good idea to replace them.
Hmm the coils are black, i think they are original, since the engine was new,
I was out driving then suddenly the engine just begin to lack power and then it stopped, and after that it was almost impossible to get it running again.

Thank´s Mikael

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

From your description it would sound fuel related. However, a couple more questions since, and I do not mean to be impolite, it really doesn't sound like you are real familiar with engines like this.

Do you know if the engine was running at a normal temp....meaning, the engine did not over heat? Are you sure the overheat alarm works? Since you've had the engine, have you done any routine maint such as carb cleaning/rebuilding, water pump impeller replacement, decarb.....any help her would be useful.

Did the engine set long before you aquired it?

Sorry Mikael for all the questions but answers to them and history does help.....Thanks!

Mickesrx

Cadet

Okey, you are so right, i am not familiar to engines like this, this is my first engine i ever owned.
Before i bought it the last owner had a service on it, he had it at a workshop so i assume that the engine must have been in good condition, the only i know about the service is that the man who made the service told me that he made a full service.

Then i was driving the engine on the lake it was running very good, excause me for my bad English but you see i am from Sweden and i don`t have a good command of the english language

I don`t even have a book, i have tried to get one but i haven`t found one.
Overheat alarm?, i didn`t even know that my engine has it.
I do not know how long the engine not have been running before i bought it.

Thank`s for your patience.

Sincerely Mikael

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Since there is no such thing as a 1965 65hp Evinrude, and since you mentioned the coils being black, it would be a good idea if you start out by posting the model number so we know what we are working on. The closest motor made in 1965 was 60hp and the coil (only one) was inside the magneto where you can't see it without taking it apart.

Mickesrx

Cadet

Okey, i will look for that number this weekend, and then i get back, i will check the coulor of the colis too.

Thank`s and you all have a great weekend.

Mikael

Since there is no such thing as a 1965 65hp Evinrude, and since you mentioned the coils being black, it would be a good idea if you start out by posting the model number so we know what we are working on. The closest motor made in 1965 was 60hp and the coil (only one) was inside the magneto where you can't see it without taking it apart.[/quote]

Mickesrx

Cadet

Hi!

I am back now with the model number, it is 65272S,
65 Horsepower, year 1972.
I asked the last owner and he had a similar mailfunction on the engine earlier, and he suspect that an grease for electrical components was the cause.
What do you think about that?

Thank`s
Mikael

Since there is no such thing as a 1965 65hp Evinrude, and since you mentioned the coils being black, it would be a good idea if you start out by posting the model number so we know what we are working on. The closest motor made in 1965 was 60hp and the coil (only one) was inside the magneto where you can't see it without taking it apart.[/quote]

Mickesrx

Cadet

Hi!

I am back now with the model number, it is 65272S,
65 Horsepower, year 1972.
I asked the last owner and he had a similar mailfunction on the engine earlier, and he suspect that an grease for electrical components was the cause.
What do you think about that?

Thank`s
Mikael

do a compression check, spark check, auto parts store sells spark checkers for about $10. don't just hold the plug against the block to check. when you say snatches what do you mean? what's the history of this motor, new to you, had for ever, what have you tried. what do the coils , plug wires, gas lines look like. thats enough for now.[/quote]