NEEDED!!! mercruiser 3.0

farrellmh

Cadet
i have a 1985 forester phantom sport 180

i had a little problem of a stern line break and the the boat swung on the bow line and flowed up on the shore then by some freak nature popped the drain plug out and she went down in about 2 ft of water... enough somehow to get in the engine and turn the oil and milkshake color.... and the exhaust manny crack too.. anyway any tips about saving a engine?? would be great help....

PLUS anyone with a used merc 3.0 4 cyc, would be GREAT!!!!

email me at
Farrelljam04@yahoo.com
or respond to this post

THANKS
mike farrell 8)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: NEEDED!!! mercruiser 3.0

Welcome to iboats......:)
You need to drain the oil out , get the water out of the cylinders, change the manifold/riser for starters....
The goal is to get the engine up & running asap.....
If it is salt water & it has been immersed for more than a day or two, it is over.....:'(
Start shopping.......
I'd look on ebay, they turn up alot there....;)..JK

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Ummmm.....it's like 20 degrees in Canandaigua right now. He's in the NEED rather than the SAVE category.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Ah.......So......
He has to wait until the ice melts to get the boat out....:%

farrellmh

Cadet

will the engine still be ok..... i had already flushed it out once... before i put it away...... i ran new oil threw it and tried to start it and it would just turn over and over but then i drained it all back out ... so any more helpfull ideas lol im was thinkin of finding a engine to just drop in ... but i dont mind bustin my ass to fix it... so let me know !!

thanks guys
Mike Farrell d:)

Bondo

Staff member

You've got to see Why it Won't Run 1st,..........

Then you'll know What is Salvagable,+ What Isn't...........

farrellmh

Cadet

im not real sure how to test the distributor then just to check for spark i guess... umm the alt and and starter are easy .... but nothing will happen with the turn on of the key .. the only way to get it to turn over is to jump the starter post......

farrell

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

What you need is a plan of attack if you will. Your best bet for the DIY route is to get a factory service manual and review the trouble shooting section, and follow the steps outlined.

farrellmh

Cadet

thanks man,,, i just have to locate a manual for the merc engine and the alpha one drive.. and for this dam weather to become at least 45 out so i can start rebuling stuff

farrell

farrellmh

Cadet

lol thanks man... but umm.. thats only the main menu hahah theres only one page !! haha

any other links to PDF files??

farrell

Bondo

Staff member

pdf. files work just like any other page on the web......

Keep a Close Watch on your Cursor,.....

It'll Change when you hover over 1 of the links that brings you to Whichever part of the Manual Set you which to view......