What can you tell me about the Garmin E-trex Legend?

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What can you tell me about the Garmin E-trex Legend?

It just hooks up via a cable sold by humminbird. They sell a cable that has a plug that matches my Garmin, it Y's off and has a place to supply power to the GPS, then the other end of the Y plugs into the harness for the humminbird and that Y's off again so that you can supply the GPS to another finder.

I went out yesterday just long enough to ensure everything on the boat was operational and ready for the season, but I didn't take much time to play with the GPS and the Finder.

Basically, it brings my speed and time up on the finder as well as charts my coarse. I have the Matrix 17, which only does a bread crumb trail, but that actually is kind of nice. I can mark and store a bunch of waypoints, so if I find a shallow or a hot fishing spot I can mark it and I believe it will even tell me when I reach that area with a warning.

In some regards the speed and time and charting are duplicated, because I have that info on the GPS as well, but the finder is a lot easier to read while driving the boat.

Let me know if you want any more info...

gss036

Commander

I agree with Brian, it is a lot easier to read while running. I took the time on Friday and ran my antenna outside the barn and played w/it enough to figure out the menus/views. Since I also run a plot charter from my old lorain, I am accustomed to that. I still would not trade my Garmin BlueWater mapping system since it show the chart and places you on the chart so your feel much more comfortable with just knowing your location, especially on saltwater, in the islands.
I think on a lake I would be ok w/just a plotter.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I've got the same set-up using a Garmin GPS76S and a Humminbird 717 fishfinder. I got the "Y" cable from Bass Pro for about $24.00 that hooks it all up. I've only gotton to use it once so far, but with my old eyes, it really helps to have the info displayed on the fishfinder. I like the fact that I can punch in waypoints on the humminbird to save for later. Also, the speed, trip distance, Etc. is nice to have displayed. It has alot more features I haven't had a chance to use yet. Beings it powers the GPS, I don't have to worry about dead batteries either. Hopefully I will get to use it more when the weather warms up...

Saskatoon2005

Master Chief Petty Officer

Is that a better set up than having a gps/fishfinder combo unit? Just curious because I was wondering if i should just buy a combo unit? Do you use your gps lots outside of fishing? I wonder if I would if i had one...LOL! I do take a driving trip to Vancouver, BC. every year.....LOL! I can get there with my eyes closed...LOL! Take care all...talk to you later.......LOL!

Patrick

MASTER Brian

As far as I know all GPS/Fishfinder combo units require a GPS Antenna/Puck as well. The antenna's are around $80-$100+, which is why I decided to just use my GPS unit, which has a built in antenna. You can buy the Garmin E-Trex Legends for $80-150 depending on where you look.

I already had my GPS, then I bought my Fishfinder which was GPS capable and then bought the cable that ties them both together, using the GPS as the antenna, for around $30.

So to sum it up, a combo unit still needs the antenna and for not much more you can buy a handheld GPS which you can use as that antenna or take with you in the car or on hikes, etc.... Personally, I love having both!!

Saskatoon2005

Thanks for the input!

Patrick

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I already had my GPS, then I bought my Fishfinder which was GPS capable and then bought the cable that ties them both together, using the GPS as the antenna, for around $30.

That's the way it was with me. I had the GPS handheld unit first and thought, what the heck, might as well get the fishfinder that can use it too. I thought about going with the puck unit anyway, but I'm gonna see how this works out...

Saskatoon2005

Thanks for the input!

Patrick

gixxerjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Master Brian you just convinced me what fishfinder to buy! Thanks

TerryMSU

I have a legend C. It has a limit of 8Mb memory. That is to small if you get the streets and roads. For example, it will only handle the western half of Michigans lower penninsula or about 1/3 (or less) of Chicago. If you get the CX, it has MUCH more memory. (I did not even think that the "C" was still available.) I like it, but it uses the usb connection. That means that it is not NMEA compatible. NMEA is the "standard" so the CX may not work with a GPS enabled fish-finder. That said, I like my Garmin. Lifetime warrantee, 20 hours battery life (without backlighting). My only complaint is that I just missed out on the CX being available. The size is not that bad, I have some vision issues, and I can still use it on the road or in the boat. You should not be running full throttle while you are looking at the GPS anyway. I would not get any Garmin ETREX LEGEND below the C, it is just too limited in function for anything except maybe geo-caching.

Terry

Last edited: