Johnson 115

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got a hold on a Johnson 115hp power head, guy say's it's running good but he had changed it out with a bigger powerhead for the speed and couldn't tell me what the year was and sence it come off a different casing the motel # wouldn't be the same as the powerhead. My question is, is there anywhere on the older motor itself that you can find a motel # looks to be around a 1975 by the digrams i've seen but like I said not to sure. I know on the newer ones there is A number in the block but I didn't see one on this moter but for the money if it cranks I got a bargin.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 115

model # and serial # shoulg be on round disc

MVC-859S-1.jpg

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ya that's what I thought but I cant mind that anywhere on the motor any certain place that the put it?? Thanks for the reply

tashasdaddy

on top between the cylinder heads. if painted over clean it the best you can. sometimes in the dark with a flash light they are easier to read.

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok now that i've got this powerhead on the boat and running, and figured out that it's a 115 Johnson 1975 model. Here's another quick question it's got a couple of cracked coils and if i replace them it might crank better i've found the part number on brb parts but i can't seem to find anybody online that carry's a 1975 115hp coil's. did they change to a new number and i've just not run across it. the part number was 0581032. thanks for all ya'lls help

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ya ezeke it is hard to get started cold but she purres like a kitten when she's warm. and dont give you any problems cranking back up.

tashasdaddy

what is your cold starting procedure. exactly.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That is just what happened with mine when I first got it. I spent a lot of money before I figured it out. Everyone was thrilled.

1. The ignition system needs 300 RPM to work. For example, a fully charged Walmart MAXX-29 at 875 Marine Cranking Amps will kick it; the price is a bargain in anyone's basement.

2. The chokes have to be 100%, absolutely, positively closed for a cold start, and the only way to be sure is to have someone hit the choke switch while you look down the carburetor throats.

3. The way to adjust the chokes, once you are confident that they are moving together, is to move the solenoid itself.

4. Hold the choke switch on until the motor starts.

mitchell6

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks ezeke, I'll give that a try the next time I fire it up and have some help around.