Powerstroke Water in Diesel?

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 95 7.3 powerstroke. The "water in fuel" light came on earlier this week. I opened the drain below the fuel filter for approx 30 sec. Then I replaced the filter After doing this the light went out. The last few days the light would come on intermitently either full brightness or sometimes dimly. The light will go out even if I haven't opened the drain. I have opened the drain 4 times this week. My quention is do I realy have water in the fuel. a bad connection, or a bad detector? I've been buying from the same source for a long time with out a problem. They sell a hell of a lot of diesel because it is the lowest price in town. Is there an aditive I can put into the fuel to remove any water like you can for gasoline?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Powerstroke Water in Diesel?

i have one of those tall skinny olive jars, when ever i drain, my separators, i drain the jar full first. let it sit a while, the water will be on the bottom and fuel on top. this way you can see if just how bad things are. diesel is bad about water. the station is suppose to check their tanks everyday for water. they put comet cleaner on the dip stick, when they pull the stick you can tell how much water is in the tank. you may have filled up when the station tank was low.

JRJ

Commander

I got some watery fuel one time and it took about 3 filter changes to get rid of.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks this sounds like it will be a long process. Filters are expensive but I guess they are cheaper than fuel pump or injector trouble. How about some sort of aditive to speed up the process?

Do I need to drain my tanks?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Have you checked the fuel your draining out to see if it actually has water in it?

It's possible that it's a faulty sensor.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

I haven't had time yet. I need to put down an oil drip pan. I can't get any thing up inito the engine space to collet from a steady stream.
They told me that when I got older I would have problems having a steady stream.:love:

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bond-o I posted my problem over there. The light is still fading on and off.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kept draining it until there was no trace of water in the fuel. Well I thought I fixed it. The light flickered slightly yesterday. I was told by a friend that the new "eviromental freindly fuel" causes the o-rings to schrink. I now notice a slight leak from the area below the fuel filter. Fuel is starting to collect in the valley between the valve covers. We will tackle this problem next weekend. I'm sure there will more visits to {dieselstop.com}