removing power head from 71, 9.5hp Johnson

gmarshall43

Petty Officer 1st Class
I want to remove the power head from a 1971 Johnson, 9.5hp. Some may refer to this as a squat motor. I have an idea but before I start removing bolts, I want to make sure they are the right ones. The service manual I have doesn't really tell you how to remove it. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks,
Gary

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: removing power head from 71, 9.5hp Johnson

I could, but it would take a lot of typing. The basics are that you have to disconnect the throttle and shift linkages, undo the vibration dampers from the carb and exhaust manifold, take the bolts out of the upper and lower rubber motor mounts, remove the steering friction bolt and friction washers, then the steering friction semi-circle plate, remove all the phillips screws from the lower cover shell, there are also a couple of hex head screws also, remove the choke rod and slow speed knob and the clips holding the slow speed needle to the panel and pull it out of the panel, remove the front panel, and if I didn't miss anything the covers will come apart and you can shuck out the complete powerhead and lower unit assemebly in one piece. Not necessarily in that order. This is all from memory.

iwombat

Captain
Re: removing power head from 71, 9.5hp Johnson

Basically, you remove pieces like the above post says until you can get it to this stage:

newPowerhead.jpg

You can then remove the powerhead and exhaust housing in one piece, leaving the port housing and transom mount connected.