Johnson 30 1988 (BJ30BALCEE)

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class
My friend has just brought one of these engines round to me as he couldn,t get it going and lost interest in it.

He thought the engine was seized but when I stripped off the rope start assembly it had fallen apart and the centre nut on the starter assembly was jammed against the crown nut.With this problem solved I attempted to start the motor.It did start but was awfully smokey and kept cutting out.

I removed the plugs and they were fouled with an oily brown substance.I first I thought of water ingression but emulsified oil is usually a light brownish colour and this is darker.Also there is a very strong pee stream and water exiting via the exhaust as there should be I do not know if a blown headgasket would effect the strength of the pee stream.

I next checked the carb and upon its removal I found a lot of petrol sitting in the reed valve housing..something like a carb bowl full...

I have noticed this motor has a choking assembly that seems to deliver a direct jet of fuel straight into the engine via a small spicket on the venturi...my question is...How would the petrol charge be metered and if the petrol charge was just continual then surely the engine would always flood....how would I cure this?

Also would it be possible to fit an older traditional carburator with a butterfly choke assembly?

Once again thanks for any advice as this is the best boating site on the web by a country mile...

LLB

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 30 1988 (BJ30BALCEE)

That motor has the primer system for cold starting. If the red lever on the selonoid is inline with the selenoid body, then no fuel should pass through it unless the electric primer is activated. By turning the red lever sideways to the body, fuel will be allowed to pass through the valve when the primer bulb is pumped. This is the manual position in case the electric selenoid fails and you need to prime it. To verify that it is not allowing gas to pass through when closed, remove the fuel line from the selonoid to the carbs. Then with the lever inline with the selenoid body, pump the bulb and see if fuel comes out. If so, it will need to be replaced or rebuilt. Also, I would pull the head off the motor and check it out to see where the water is coming from. A compression check should also reveal a problem.

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class

rickdb1boat said:
That motor has the primer system for cold starting. If the red lever on the selonoid is inline with the selenoid body, then no fuel should pass through it unless the electric primer is activated. By turning the red lever sideways to the body, fuel will be allowed to pass through the valve when the primer bulb is pumped. This is the manual position in case the electric selenoid fails and you need to prime it. To verify that it is not allowing gas to pass through when closed, remove the fuel line from the selonoid to the carbs. Then with the lever inline with the selenoid body, pump the bulb and see if fuel comes out. If so, it will need to be replaced or rebuilt. Also, I would pull the head off the motor and check it out to see where the water is coming from. A compression check should also reveal a problem.

Thanks for the reply Rick but this motor has a manual choke no solenoid...I have had a look on the BRP parts site and I cannot find this carb just the carbs with the choke solenoid..

Also do you reckon that water is getting into the cylinders and is there any way to check this without removing the cylinderhead as I only want to do that as a last resort buddy.

There is plenty of pressure oan the start cord but that could be caused by hydraulic lock I suppose...

Once again thanks for the advice it is really appreciated..

LLB

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I would run the compression test and see how that comes out. Sorry on the choke. I saw 1988 model in the description and assumed....BTW- It's a 1989 model in case you didn't know....

Lubosleftboot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again for the reply Rick I thought the motor was a 1988 but only a year out aint to bad d:)

I will do a compression test tomorrow and post the results on here,but would water in the bores not give a false reading?

Ty LLB

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Doesn't water injestion steam clean the plugs? I had cracked lines on my primer on my 92-95 30 horse ..and a ripped o-ring on the plunger. You can take it apart and clean it out, put a new o ring in it..it should suck fuel from a T under the carb when you pull and squirt from the tube that fits on the nipple at the back of the carb when you push. If the o ring is shot it will let gas through it while running. I wonder if the gunk on the plugs was just old cruddy gas/oil mix? Different oils are different colors, especially if the previous owner used any "2 stroke" oil they could find.