merc 200efi alt protection

what kinda protection does my merc altenator have? auto reset? fuse?or fusable link?maunal circuit??

how may amp 's does this system put out? and can they be increased in output?
thx R

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: merc 200efi alt protection

Might want to add full model number, year, best yet would be SN for your engine,

ctkiteboarding said:
yea sorry 1998 i cant get the serial# till the am

ok the model is1998 200 EFI

the serial # 06627359
im interested in finding out how to increase amps from this unit and what overload safety backups it has , thx in advance R

Don S

Just for your information, that serial number is 0G627359, not 06627359.

Your engine has a 40Amp charging capability using the stator and flywheel as the means of charging. You also have 2 reegulators in the system.

Nothing really you can do to upgrade the amperage with that type system that I am aware of.

Don said:
Just for your information, that serial number is 0G627359, not 06627359.

Your engine has a 40Amp charging capability using the stator and flywheel as the means of charging. You also have 2 reegulators in the system.

Nothing really you can do to upgrade the amperage with that type system that I am aware of.

thanks are the regulator a means of protection on this unit??

Don S

There are no fuses or circuit breakers in the charging system if that is what you mean by protection. The regulators are protected internally against putting the battery cables on the battery backwards.

Don said:
There are no fuses or circuit breakers in the charging system if that is what you mean by protection. The regulators are protected internally against putting the battery cables on the battery backwards.

im in abit of a pickle here
my accessory lights draw 27.5 amp, my stereo amplifiers have 3 fuses 30 amps each and then there is the nav lights and motor???
the alt is rated at 40a im not sure how this works ? any idea if ill be able to run these accessorys?? without frying the alt ?
can i put in a breaker of some sort to protect the alt?

Don S

What kind of "Accessory Lights" do you have that draws that much amperage? ? ? ?
Just because an item has a 30 amp fuse, doesn't mean it is using 30Amps of power.

Laddies

Banned

You need a second battery and batt isolater, run the accesseries on the secondary battery and the engine of the main battery. Remeaber low voltage can trash tou EFI system

Don S

One other thing, your alternator puts out a maximum of 40 Amps PER HOUR Now if you use your lights all the time at a full 27.5 A (that is PER HOUR also) and your nav lights probably only burn a couple of amps max, you would still be ok.
Not sure what you have for a stereo, but you may have to shut it down if it uses that much power.

Laddies

Banned

Don, good to see you over here, we sure need someone with experience on EFI

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Typically, lights and pumps use 5 amp fuses (horns too). Electonics use 2 or 3 amp fuses. Accessory plugs might get a 10 amp fuse. Except for the motor, nothing should require more. Motors usually have their own 20 amp main fuses. ( Trolling motors use 40 or 50 amp fuses. )

Your wires will melt before you blow a 30 amp fuse. Get those outta there. YIKES!

Laddies said:
Don, good to see you over here, we sure need someone with experience on EFI

we set up the lights on two different switchs to be able to seperate front from rear.

the stereo ampliflers are(i think) using amp's base on volume??

i set up two yellow top optima's batterys and islolated the "house power "from the start/motor power ,

i use a 200 amp relay to the key so when in off or acc position the house is isolated for the start and when u switch to run/start the relay allows the house battery to run paralel? w the start battery

will the alt be able to keep the two batterys charged and run some of the accessory's ?
like the stereo and nav light or the rear spot light and stereo on low volume??

ok its getting better the spot lights are 4 amp each so 24a total w all of them on , which is unlikely,,,

the stereo amp (on avg) at max power will draw 30a but only when the music calls for that power ex. bass drum or something strong to move the speaker,

the house is max 2/3a it seems,

Don S

I'm not really sure how or why you have a 200A relay going to the key switch. The key switch only has enough power going to it to operate the instruments and the start relay and ignition functions on the engine, not the amperage to crank the motor over, that is done thru the battery cables back at the engine.
You need a battery switch and a battery isolater or charge relay to properly charge both batteries when the engine is running. You also need to have all your accessories seperate from your starting battery and nothing coming off your ignition switch but the engine.
Your accessory panel should be a seperate line coming from a house battery, not from the ignition switch.

the house is spearate from the start , the relay is in between the two batterys ,
the key activates the relay by closing it when swtiched to run/start that way the two batterys will charge together,and team up to start the motor,
, when the key is in the off or acc. position the replay will be open and isolate the two batterys

thx sorry if im unclear

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Jeez! 30 amps times 12 volts is 360 watts. You have a 360 watt stereo in a boat? Heck, just turn off the motor and point the speakers backwards. The sound waves alone should be enough to push the boat.

You aren't one of these people that drive the boat with your docking lights on, are you? They call them "docking" lights for a reason. Running lights are something else entirely. I get a kick out of boaters that drive with their docking lights. Just as effective as an airplane flying with it's landing lights on. Sheesh!

no i run at night often and we like to light things up the lights are off when we head in or dock :/