Tohatsu/Merc

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I know that tohatsu makes many small motors for merc, but at what hp does merc take over? A friend of mine is looking in the 30hp range for a 13' whaler super sport and there seems to be quite a difference in price between the two brands. Also any opinions on Tohatsu outboards are welcome!
Thanks.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tohatsu/Merc

The Tohatsu brand is highly respected worldwide; they are good engines and usually are price leaders.

On the other hand, try to find a Tohatsu Service center or buy parts locally.

Put a Merc decal on it, pay more, and you can get service and parts.

On the other hand. . . . The local Johnson Dealer handled the service on my Suzuki DF70 very well. :)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It is really hard to locate Tohatsu parts...You actually have to look in your phone book to get the name of your local dealer.:)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What local dealer, Guru?
I can only find 3 dealers in WI, and they are 100, 200, and 245 miles away.
There are a few more service centers, but they are all over 100 miles away as well.

Has Tohatsu set up an online parts web site, like mercuryexpressparts ?

If not, why not?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

...... I like where this is going ....... but still have no comment ........

tommays

Admiral

In my travels around the USA i have been to plenty of remote waters without dealers for anything or even gas for 150 miles :)

Tommays

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

We live 25min from a tohatsu dealer!!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Roscoe,

There are 12 dealers in Wisconsin. There are four within 90 to 100 miles of you. That is fairly far away and frankly I wouldn't suggest you purchase a Tohatsu because you are not near one....Tohatsu, like every other manufacturer, has a dealer locater on their website which enables individuals to locate dealers in their area...Or at least the closest dealer. Buying parts online is something of an issue for marine manufacturers. They don't like it. They all feel that people should visit their local authorized H,S,T,N,Y,M or E dealer for everything. The internet is an evil thing because dealers who are not on the web ***** about how it takes away from their business, blah, blah, etc. Mercury instituted their online system to funnel that internet business to selected dealers at other dealers expense. Tohatsu, like the other manufacturers, has not indicated that they want to go in that direction. If they did you can bet we would be at the top of the list begging to be on it.

Now a quick word in general about authorized dealers. Mercury has five times the number of dealers that Tohatsu has. Yamaha has about four times the number. Evinrude about 1 1/2 the number and Suzuki and Honda have less. I think I do have a complaint about singling out that Tohatsu has fewer dealers than some brands. With respect to JB's knowledge....He never points out that service and parts might be an issue on Suzuki or Honda. And since when is the number of available dealers an issue at all? If you have a dealer in your area what more do you need? Lets look at cars. There are lots of Ford dealers in Tampa. One Kia dealer. All I need is one. In Tampa I think there are eight Mercury dealers. Maybe seven since we dropped them:) There is only one Tohatsu dealer because that's all the population base can support. Tohatsu is always looking for dealers in areas where they don't have them, but unlike Yamaha or Mercury, they will not set them up on top of each other. Tohatsu has a limited share of the U.S. market and only so many people are smart enough to buy them. If they had as many dealers as Mercury then Tohatsu dealers would be every five miles apart and each one would sell ten engines a year. That wouldn't be profitable for the dealers. Tohatsu may be shortsided on somethings, but dealer profitability isn't one of them. They want us to make money because they want dealerships who will be loyal to them through thick and then. I'm not picking on Mercury, but that is one engine brand that actually has 50% of all dealers hating the company and the product. That is a direct result of their dealer marketing plan.

So would it be better if there was a Tohatsu dealer on every block? No. Could they increase the number of dealerships. Yes and they are. Slowly.

So, in the grand scheme of things, is there an issue with service and parts for Tohatsu. The answer is an absolute no. In a particular geographic location might there be a Mercury or Yamaha dealer closer to someone. Probably yes.

I think Tommays hit the nail on the head and to paraphrase, there is always a possibility that you will not have a brand x dealer near you no matter what brand you choose.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

At least you believe in your product, I admire that ...... :) I still stick with yamaha though, waiting for tohatsu parts here takes about 14 working days, suzuki parts 3 working days or they might even have what you are looking for, and yamaha parts always in stock most of the time otherwise they would deliver it to your door within 24 hours ...... buying parts online is just more convenient and cheaper than driving all the way sitting in traffic getting your blood boiling etc. People like convenience .... that is the key to a successful business ....

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Some good points Elvin.
I agree with some of them.

I used the Tohatsu dealer finder on their website, and it only spit back 3.
I tried the zip code method, and the area code method (414, 262, 608, and 715). So the dealers you mentioned may be here, but the website didn't give them to me.

My comment was directed at your "open the local phone book" statement.

Driving 100 miles ( likely 400 miles -two trips, one trip to drop off, and one trip to pick up) for routine service, is out of the question. That would be 2 days shot, out of the 5 days I get off per month. And 2 of those are Sundays, when the dealers aren't even open.

If the motor needs routine maintenance twice a year, that 800 miles, 20+ hours of my limited time, and $100 of gas, just to maintain my motor.
Would you do that with your car, lawn tractor, or computer?

So, in the grand scheme of things, is there an issue with service and parts for Tohatsu. The answer is an absolute YES. I never thought there was, until you insisted that there wasn't.

And if the dealer/manufacturer won't make the parts lists available, and make it easy for me to buy the part, I guess I won't be buying another motor.

"Tampa I think there are eight Mercury dealers. Maybe seven since we dropped them. There is only one Tohatsu dealer because that's all the population base can support."

Now there is some great thinking. Its not population base, its market volume!
What ever happened to taking marketshare away from the competition?
Tampa could easily support 4 Tohatsu dealers if you would put 2 Mercury, 2 Yamaha, and one Evinrude dealer out of business.

Where is the best place to open a business? Across the street from your competitors.
Nissan and Tohatsu have not done that in WI and elsewhere.
They are nearly invisible on the water and in the marketplace in WI.

I'm not picking on Mercury, but that is one engine brand that actually has 50% of all dealers hating the company and the product.

So why then are they not Tohatsu dealers?
Why are they still Mercury dealers?

I love my little 4 hp 2 stroke kicker, but thats as far as the Tohatsu love affair will go.

We have over 639,000 boats in this state. Pretty good for a state with a population of only 5 million. Approximately 470,000 of these boats are powered by outboards. If just 3.2% of them need to be powered or repowered annually, thats 15,000 motor sales at stake.

Or, take the total US boat registrations of 13 million, we have 5% of that here. So 5% of the 300,000+ outboards sold annually is 15,000 motor sales in WI.

I would think that Tohatsu would be making a stronger effort to get a share of that pie in WI. A dozen dealers just isn't gonna cut it. The dealers can't be 150-200 miles apart. 24 dealers maybe, 30 even better, but not a dozen.

With the new motors getting more sophisticated(4 stroke and DI), an accessible and experienced dealer/service network is a must, or most people won't buy.

tommays

Admiral

Roscoe

I can almost walk to a dealer for everything made and i can tell you that a lot of companys must not care at all who sells there stuff OR are real happy selling there stuff out of two bay gas stations

Its hard to find a real "5 star dealer" let alone a real master tech with all the hacks mixed in

Which leaves the public trying to sort things out with a dealer with marginal service at best ready to go bankrupt at any second

It great you can get the part BUT you will still be waiting 2 weeks at best if you dont feel up to DIY EFI service

Tommays

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Roscoe,

Tohatsu is a niche engine here in the U.S. They don't own any boat companies, and the largest engine they make ia a 115. They simply are not a full line manufacturer and therefore are limited in what their appeal is to the public. Parts are not now and never have been as issue. Service is not now and never has been an issue. People who buy any product without a local support infrastructure to support it are making a mistake...At least to some degree. As I pointed out earlier, you shouldn't buy a Tohatsu because you don't have a dealer near you. I checked your city against several other manufacturers and you are over forty miles away from at least several other brands too:) In a perfect world every outboard brand would be sold by every single dealer....Like aspirin. But with quanity discounts offered other brands dealers do not want to dilute their sales over too many lines. That's why you usually only see a dealer with two lines and maybe they sell another line or two on boats. Stealing market share is what it is all about. Tohatsu is huge in the under 25 hp market in the U.S. It's tiny in the 25 and over market. Could a push be made to increase market share? Yes. But the ramifications can be a little twisted. IE Federal Trade complaints.

Tohatsu is a great outboard. It's not for everyone. Some models are the best in their class. Some aren't. That's true of every brand. I do not offer blanket endorsement of any brand because every brand has a wart or two. Some brands have more:) My only complaint is the singling out of Tohatsu as the lone engine where there may not be a dealer five miles from you.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Buying parts online is something of an issue for marine manufacturers. They don't like it. They all feel that people should visit their local authorized H,S,T,N,Y,M or E dealer for everything. The internet is an evil thing because dealers who are not on the web ***** about how it takes away from their business, blah, blah, etc.

I can attest to that. I am in another industry...one that has pretty much been taken over by internet sales. The scenario goes like this: customers stop by...we take time (often hours) to explain features and benefits...show the product (touch and feel.... ) explain finer points of it's operation...and have the customer thank us...take the brochure with the exact model number duly noted...and then go home and order on-line.

Online merchants; because of their lower overhead and often larger buying power...can sell the item for a few points of profit over their (often lower) cost... Also; in many cases...the customer can avoid paying sales tax as well.

I am in favor of getting a great deal as much as the next person...but I can certainly understand why some industries have resisted having their wares sold on-line.

Over time; their brick and mortar dealer network evaporates...

It's a tough issue...no easy solutions.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

tommays said:
Roscoe

I can almost walk to a dealer for everything made and i can tell you that a lot of companys must not care at all who sells there stuff OR are real happy selling there stuff out of two bay gas stations

Its hard to find a real "5 star dealer" let alone a real master tech with all the hacks mixed in

Which leaves the public trying to sort things out with a dealer with marginal service at best ready to go bankrupt at any second

It great you can get the part BUT you will still be waiting 2 weeks at best if you dont feel up to DIY EFI service

Tommays

Exactly, thats why I said they need more dealers before they can expect to make any headway into a specific market.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

SeaKaye12 said:
Buying parts online is something of an issue for marine manufacturers. They don't like it. They all feel that people should visit their local authorized H,S,T,N,Y,M or E dealer for everything. The internet is an evil thing because dealers who are not on the web ***** about how it takes away from their business, blah, blah, etc.

I can attest to that. I am in another industry...one that has pretty much been taken over by internet sales. The scenario goes like this: customers stop by...we take time (often hours) to explain features and benefits...show the product (touch and feel.... ) explain finer points of it's operation...and have the customer thank us...take the brochure with the exact model number duly noted...and then go home and order on-line.

Online merchants; because of their lower overhead and often larger buying power...can sell the item for a few points of profit over their (often lower) cost... Also; in many cases...the customer can avoid paying sales tax as well.

I am in favor of getting a great deal as much as the next person...but I can certainly understand why some industries have resisted having their wares sold on-line.

Over time; their brick and mortar dealer network evaporates...

It's a tough issue...no easy solutions.

Absolutely.
But the world has changed in the last 25 years, people have less time, work more. And the internet came along and changed the market, customer expectations and demands, and the competition for the sale.

The smart retailers have kept their b/m, and gone online to keep someone else from taking their business. Two small local businesses did this, and now have more added employees, just to do the online business. Several iboats members are doing the same thing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I never said anything about 5 miles, thats something you keep bringing up.
True, there is one one dealer (two brands), which is actually 5 miles from my doorstep. But there are authorized service shops that cover 2 additional brands within 15 miles.
And I can get sales and service at 7 other dealerships within 35-50 miles.
Thats a big difference from 100 miles on two-lane roads. Not a single dealer in the northern 1/3 of our state, where the lakes are.

Dovekie

Seaman Apprentice

Sadly, this is true as well here. Not a single dealer in a province with many thousands of outboards used for commercial & recreation, fishing, hunting & in some areas, same as a car, ie. basic transport.

What i can say is that my Nissan 25 hp 2-stroke has been v. reliable so far in travels where reliability counts, ie. ocean that freezes, winter & relatively remote. i contemplate buying another Tohatsu or Nissan despite the common sense advice of T Guru & perhaps others, that without dealer support, it is unwise.

i v. much appreciate advice & info that is offered on the forums; a big thanks to all.