Short sighted liberals...

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Good job you dumb liberals...

I'll bite too. So if your business doesn't pay mw but pays more what happens when mw does go up, do you raise there wages so they are still that much higher than a so called entry level person?

treedancer

Commander

Well said bjsc

But I didn’t start this thread with this statement, did I?

(Good job you dumb liberals.)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Kenneth said:
I'll bite too. So if your business doesn't pay mw but pays more what happens when mw does go up, do you raise there wages so they are still that much higher than a so called entry level person?

A: NO.......;)

treedancer

Commander

Missouri raised their minimum wage to $6.50 in January and it is indexed to inflation thereafter.

Here is the Dec.
unemployment rate, and the Jan. 2007 rate, no change.

Missouri unemployment rate for Dec.2006= 4.9

Missouri unemployment rate for Jan.2007=4.9

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

treedancer said:
But I didn’t start this thread with this statement, did I?
(Good job you dumb liberals. )

No you didn't, but it did cause you to have a reponse based in emotion rather than reason. That's how it works. They polarize us, we stay busy arguing about nothing, calling each other names, and neither of us become aware of the real problem. Thanks for the compliment, BTW...

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Actually several unions have their pay scales tied to the minimum wage, so when that goes up, they automatically get a raise. Even if their pay is 25 bucks an hour, they will recieve a raise consistant with the increase in the minimum wage. Payback for an election won? It's like getting bags of cash from monks who have taken a vow of poverty. Just different.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

What unions would that be?

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I sure as heck didn't get a raise, neither did my wife.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You must be in the wrong union......:'(

Pony

Rear Admiral

Haut said:
What unions would that be?

The pay of a union worker is often a multiplier of the minimum wage........so to answer your question; most of them.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

HMMMM.....
Well I must admit that I have only been a member of one union in the past........
When the contract was negotiated, it had nothing to do with minimum wage & everything to do with my marketable skill.....
My, how times have changed.....:$

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I think the minimum wage should be increased until everyone in this great country can afford to own a boat.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Watch it!.....
You might get elected on that platform!.......d:)

treedancer

Commander

Quote pony

The pay of a union worker is often a multiplier of the minimum wage........so to answer your question; most of them.

I can only speak for the Teamsters, and then only for the freight carriers, but the minimum wage never has come up in any contract negations that I know of.

Pony

Rear Admiral

treedancer said:
Quote pony

I can only speak for the Teamsters, and then only for the freight carriers, but the minimum wage never has come up in any contract negations that I know of.

I know that it isnt a factor is all unions.....

I have no expirience of my own, but talked to my dad and grandpa about it and they both have told me that minimum wage is a factor in some unions......I dont know if it was in theirs. I figure they would know since they have been members for 30+ years a piece and my grandpa was union president for quite awhile. (Briggs and Stratton; Harley Davidson)

Pony

Rear Admiral

That being said.......I don't think it should be. They already make well above the minimum wage, usually by quite a bit. In fact, I really am not a big fan of Unions. I like the fact that they protect the worker, but am angered by the fact that they often fight for the worst workers simply because they are in the Union. That to me is wrong.

Told you I have a conservative side......I just don't drink either sides kool-aid.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the auto industry & associated suppliers & such fell into this category.....
Just another reason the US auto industry is getting the crap kicked out of it......:|

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My 16 year old son just got a job down town for a local company that does a lot of shipping. He is working packing and stock, getting $9.00 an hour.

Who needs minimum wage when a high school junior can get an unskilled job paying $9 an hour?

Edit:

By unskilled, I mean he just has to be able to read and write, do simple math, and be responsable. This is not a union job.

Are those skills so hard to come by today that this company is willing to pay $9 an hour to get them?

Bondo

Staff member

By unskilled, I mean he just has to be able to read and write, do simple math, and be responsable. This is not a union job.

Ayuh,.......

If it Was a Union job,........

He wouldn't even have to be able to Do That.........

Re: Short sighted liberals...

Oh, I see I see, the original post title was not dumb, it was shortsighted. ;)