50 HP won't go into reverse

Eddie Lee

Cadet
I have a 2002 50 HP Mercury with oil injection. Last time out, it ran great but would not shift into reverse. The boat has console controls and the linkages appear to be moving the shifter far enough to shift, but the gears do not engage. But it still shifts into forward just fine, so far. I have been told that shifting into gear too "gingerly" is not good, and I admit I have been guilty of being too gentle, especially shifting into reverse.

So the question is, is this an expensive job for the Mercury dealership? Or can an amateur mechanic do this repair?

Thanks for any input or advice you can offer.

Laotzu

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 50 HP won't go into reverse

I also have a 50, and when I first got ot, it acted the same as describe. When I pull back on the handle with vigor, it works fine. There seems to be a mid point where it feels like it should be in gear but it isn't.

Jerry

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Don't be afraid to put it in reverse with the engine running. If the engine is not running do it gingerly and rotate the prop by hand slowly while doing it.

The reverse gear shifter is an eared "dog" that fits into a socket (one on each side of the gear) in the reverse gear. Unlike forward, the sides of these two parts are vertical and one is not much wider than the other. They have to be right on top of each other to engage. If your idle rpm's are too fast it can easily overshoot and not make it. I'd guess your idle rpms, in gear in the water (load on engine) would be about 675 rpm's. Slower than that and she would die and faster and you can't shift.

What I would do is to remove your shifter remote cable adapter from the engine and manually move the engine's shift lever thru the full gear range marking the max F and R positions....remember to turn the prop for lineup.

Then set the engine's shifter halfway between these positions. Go to your remote control and put it in N. I'm going to bet that your cable is not lined up with the post on the engine when you get back to the engine and look at it....that it's toward the F position.

Unscrew the end as necessary to get the cable connection to line up with the engine, reconnect it, check rpm's and you should be good to go.

And when you shift, shift, don't lollygag around. I was guilty of that in the early years. Thought I was doing the gears a favor by shifting slowly....wrong :%

Then, if you still have problems ponder disassembly. No it is not all that hard, but a manual helps....just messy.

HTH

Mark

Eddie Lee

Cadet

Thanks Mark and Jerry,

I will check it out this weekend and see if I can get it to shift. You guys are really good and I do appreciate your help.

Eddie

KL Whisenant

Recruit

I have a 1999 40 hp Mercury that won't shift into forward or reverse. Was great last time out. then changed oil in lower unit. Can you help me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

changing the oil should have nothing to do with it, unless you completely dropped the lower unit.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

What about kinking the shift cable when you changed the oil. Did you raise the engine way up and do that.....right at the front of the engine where the cable exits? Otherwise, like tas said, not related events. I can't think of anything else that you could have done.

Disconnect the cable from the engine and test each separately. At least you will know where to start looking.

Mark