1998 Mercury EFI

Ken Pearson

Cadet
Got a problem again. Rebuilt the fuel pump a couple of months ago and put in the NGK plugs, but now it is hard to start. Almost like it is flooding out. Sometimes it acts as if it isn't picking the fuel up and dies about the time I get on plane. After sitting for awhile I have to give it about a 1/4 throttle to get it to start. I might have to pump the ball again. Once it gets on plane it runs great. Do you have any suggest? Should I change the fuel pump?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1998 Mercury EFI

Assuming it was doing this before and continued once you rebuilt the pump, I'd look into the primer bulb, anti-syphon fitting on the tank, and maybe even the pickup in the tank. Also check for leaks and kinks in the fuel line.

I ran into one last year where the silver Mercury fuel line was delaminating and the yellowed inside peeled away from the silver outer layer and kinked inside but not outside.

Ken Pearson

Cadet
Re: 1998 Mercury EFI

I changed the ball. It was running pretty good right after I rebuilt the pump, but I made a mistake and changed the plugs using Champion Plugs. What does the anti-syphon fittimg look like? Maybe I should replace the fuel line?