Am I being to sensitive?

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm going to the LA boat show tomorrow and I'm going to buy a new boat. I'm 90% certain that it will be a Caravelle 207LS. We have 2 dealers in SoCal 1 that's 30 miles away and 1 that's100 miles away. I called the closer dealer to ask for tickets. When I talked to them 3 weeks ago they told me to call the day before the show and they would leave me 2 tickets. Today I called and they told me that they would not give me any tickets. So I asked if they would refund the cost if I purchased a boat from them. They sad no and that the tickets were only $10. My question is. If they are to cheap to comp tickets would you buy a boat from them? I call the farther dealer and my tickets will be waiting at will call. I will be buying my boat from him. One of the things I've learned from iboats is choosing the right dealer is as important as choosing the right boat.

Sorry for the rant but these guys lost the sale over $20.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Am I being to sensitive?

That's as good as any reason for not choosing them. They promised you one thing, did another and then turned down the chance to address it to your satisfaction.

They probably thought (incorrectly) that someone so keen on free tickets probably could not afford a new boat anyway.
Maybe the reason you have the funds for a new boat is that you are a frugal person.

My dealer left me tickets at the will call. We shopped all over and still bought from them.

salty87

Commander

be sure to say hi to the dealer that said 'no'. would be especially nice to have something with the other dealer's name or logo on it when you do so, like a purchase order.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not cheap I'm frugal. $20 will be beter spent in buying some thing for my new boat. When I sold my last boat about 5 years ago all my stuff went with it.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

salty87 said:
be sure to say hi to the dealer that said 'no'. would be especially nice to have something with the other dealer's name or logo on it when you do so, like a purchase order.

Good idea!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I would look at the picture differently. Do they have a mechanic that you would like to work with. Is their service department superior, parts inventory, reputation? You don't want to create an island of yourself or create a situation that down the road you lose the opportunity to work with this group if you need to. Negotiate the $20.00 at the time of sale if it is that important. I wouldn't sully an opportunity to negoatiate as I am sure they get a ton of requests for free tickets from people who "promise" they are going to buy at the show.

Pop the price of the tickets, get it back in the form of a life jacket or set of flares if need be. If they are really jerks, hey buy elsewhere. Boat mechanics and facilities are not as common as car mechanics. The $20 in tickets will be more than made up in the cost to get the boat an additional 70 miles away. One person within the organization makes a questionable call and you want to limit your options over it? Tread lightly, and keep your options open.

I am a professional saleman and if someone would kill a $25K deal over the cost of a free hat, I would have to question their desire to purchase. I assure you that if they gave free tickets to everyone who promised they were going to buy a boat at the show, they would be out of business by the end of it. The best thing a dealer can do for a new boat owner is stay in business at least as long as the so called warranty on the boat. d:)

aspeck

Staff member

I agree with Pointer - don't let $20 tickets keep you from closer and better service down the road. That will be worth more than the $20. However, if their service is as good as their offer for comp tickets ... then you are better going the 100 miles. You are the one that will have to live with your decision, just be careful you do not burn any bridges that you will need to cross later on.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

I only need the dealer for warranty work on the boat itself. I already have a great mechanic who will do the warranty work on the motor and he's 10 min from my house. If I have to go the 100 miles I'll just make it into a day trip to the beach. I already drive 300 miles to the lake house. In SoCal you can't go anywhere with out driving 50-60miles. Hell some peolple drive that far to work every day.

Pointer I agree I will probably bite my lip and not say any thing. I should calm down by tomorrow. That's why I posted this I know cooler heads will prevail.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Bucky, I always caution people to be careful with making statements or create situations that don't actually benefit them tangilbly, but emotionally. It usually bites them in the butt.

Want to make that $20 look like peanuts? Bring cash to the show. Remember when negotiating to not forget things that can be added like, free installation of electronics, a slip for 3 weeks, additional life jackets, winter storage, (thats an up north thing :'( ), a free 20 hour service on the engine. Work the backside deal as well as the front. Cash will make most dealers more willing to drop their shorts. The backside deal sometimes will not go against a salesmans commission and they are sometimes more likely to negotiate in that arena.

The art of the deal requires that you never lose your cool. Remember, you have what they want, not vise versa. If you don't buy that boat, you will have food on the table next week. If they don't sell that boat, that might not be the case for them. Believe that going in and you will do fine.

Best of luck.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Pointer good advice. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I'll have purchased my boat. Then the real work begins.

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I went the boat show yesterday and talked to the dealer. Their show price was $3,000 over list price. I just walked away with out saying anything. But there is a happy ending to this story. I bought another boat and got a better deal on a better boat that I didn't think I could afford. Now I just have to wait the 8 to 10 weeks for it to show up.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Awesome Bucky. The waitin will be hell, but you will have years to get over it.

congrats!

bucky7680 said:
Well I went the boat show yesterday and talked to the dealer. Their show price was $3,000 over list price. ...

OK, I am lost. Who paid for the tickets? :^

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my 2 tickets from a different Caravelle dealer.

aspeck

Staff member

Cool - New boat for Bucky - test drives for all in just a couple of months!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Bucky, Got pic's or links to the new family member?