1992 175 fried again!

alousteau

Cadet
Had it rebuilt, removed oil injection, that is what killed it the first time. On the first trip out it melted down a piston and threw a rod through the block. The guy warratied it and got us a block, crankshaft, pistons, and a new rod. Took it out again today, ran good for a little while then started missing and loosing power. Immediatly stopped it b/c it sounded like it was going to throw anothe rod. Pulled all the plugs, the bottom two looked like they had water getting into them, they were wet and the oil had turned whiteish. What the heck would cause this??? Also it did't overheat, when we pulled the cover and were pulling the plugs the block was not hot at all, I was leaning on the heads when I was removing the plugs. We thought head gaskets, but two failing, that would be a little crazy on a freshly rebuilt powerhead. Just curious, it will be going back the the rebuilder on Wednesday. We did exactly what he said, the first trip we were to run it up to 3000 for an hour, never made it that long, then increast 500 rpms for the next hour, etc. until we got to running it full throttle. This motor had been cursed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 175 fried again!

Are you using the same carbs each time the engine is rebuilt? If you are, you would be wise to rebuild them as it appears it is a lean condition that is killing these motors. That's why it is so important to actually determine what caused the problem. You are fixing the effect -- not the cause.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Also, if you were pre-mixing when the engine went sour that says the oil injection was probably NOT the problem in the first failure as well.

alousteau

Cadet

Brought it back to the guy this morning. All he told me was that he was sorry and he was not going to do anything further on that motor. Said I just must have a bad motor, and the best thing I could do would be to trade it in on another motor. What an A hole!!!!! We are not done with him we are looking at the possibility of some litigation now. Just thought everyone would like an update. If anyone is in the Baton Rouge area looking to get their motor fixed, email me and I will let you know who not to send it to from our experience.

alousteau

Cadet

The carbs were rebuilt, when he did the motor the first time, and checked again the second time. They gave us a line about something in the ingnintion was advancing the timing 9 degrees and that is what burnt it up the first and the second time. No explination at all this time. He refused to even look at it.

j_martin

Admiral

Some engines about that time set the timing at about 18 degrees, and advanced it more at high rpm. Some set the timing at 23-25 degrees and did not advance the timing. Some had modules that advanced the timing if the idle went too low. Some had modules that advanced the timing at high speed. Some had modules that did both. some had modules that retarded timing at high speed to rev limit (sort of)

To add to the confusion, most of these add on things aren't even available any more.

Mix them up wrong, and you have your basic grenade, or else a dog.

Best bet is to chit can all of them, and set the timing at whatever runs with your engine and fuel, usually about 23 degrees on a stock motor.

It probably wasn't set up right. If you had it tuned up and it suddenly had more go than ever before, it could have been leaned out, or timed fast.

Probably the rub with the builder is that you need to go at it more cautiously, and not just get on it till it blows.

hope it helps
John

Capt Ken

Commander

The engine isn't cursed, the cause of the first fried piston was never solved. Wasn't the oil injection that took it out the first time. It was a lean fuel mixture. Caused by either dirty carb, bad gaskets allowing air in the intake, or a bad hose allowing air in the intake. Bet the guy gave you a really good deal when he rebuilt it the first time. The second time ate his lunch.

alousteau

Cadet

The break in procedure is what the builder told us to do. 3000 for an hour then 3500 for an hour then 4000 for an hour then 4500 for an hour and on up to full throttle. So we followed his directions. I could understand him not wanting to touch it again if I showed up after 30 days or a few months, but two weeks and after following his break in instrucitons.... Now let me get you up to speed a little more.

We rebuilt the motor the first time but could not get it to run right. We brought it to him and he said he would not touch it, which I understand. The he said he would if we paid for him to rebuild it, basically go throuh the motor and make sure we did everything right, by the way no parts etc. We paid him 1500 for that. We get it back and on the first trip out it eats itself, burnt up a pison, threw a rod through the block, which we just had machined and destroyed a head. I also checked it out when I got it back, and he had not opened up the block, removed the intake, etc. b/c the sealant we put on was still there, and a few other reference marks (places we kind of gobbed the sealant on and smeared it around, you could tell it had not been removed or tampered with) We bring it back to him, he gets us another block, crankshaft, pistons, etc, then rebuilds the motor again. Gives us a line about the timing thing, says he ran it and it is running good. We pick it up and take it out and now it starts knocking and has watter in the bottom two cyl. Bring it back to him and he says sorry, I have done all I can for that motor and I am 500 into it now, I think you have a bad motor and the best thing you can do is trade it in on a new one. Well what about the 1500 I paid him to rebuild it, and get it running correctly. At this point if I take it somewhere else I am looking at at least 1500 for labor and possibly another block, piston or two, rings, crank (maybe)...... So basically I just bent over and let him give it to me.

The first time he had it, it had a freshly machined block, new pistons, rings, and bearings. The only problem he found was one piston was upside down. Over 800 in parts inside it, granted one piston was upside down. Big mistake I know. We think he just flipped that one piston over. He called the next day and told us it was ready. The second time when he actually did rebuild it, he had it for three weeks. Now it is dead again with water in the bottom two cyl, and it is sitting in the driveway probably rusting the crank, rods, bearings, lower crank bearing, etc.

Sorry for the rant, but I am worse off now than I was before I went to this guy.