Taurus /Check engine Light on

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer
Its a 96 Taurus 3.0 DOHC. Problem started about 3 months ago. I got the code reader out and the code was P430 catalyst below threshold left bank. For about a month it would set the same code. I did not erase the code but the MIL would go off by it self and then a few days later set the same code again. This went on for about a month then no problems for a couple of months. It set the same code 2 days ago. I'm kind of thinking maybe a erratic down line co senser or am I grabbing at straws?

mscher

Lieutenant
Re: Taurus /Check engine Light on

cajun555 said:
Its a 96 Taurus 3.0 DOHC. Problem started about 3 months ago. I got the code reader out and the code was P430 catalyst below threshold left bank. For about a month it would set the same code. I did not erase the code but the MIL would go off by it self and then a few days later set the same code again. This went on for about a month then no problems for a couple of months. It set the same code 2 days ago. I'm kind of thinking maybe a erratic down line co senser or am I grabbing at straws?

I suggest taking a look for exaust leaks.

My 97 Ranger received a very similar error recently. It came up about the same time the connecter between the Catalyict pipe and muffler pipe rotted loose.

xtraham

Lieutenant

look for a vacume leak, if the 02 sensor was the problem you should have a code for the 02, they were known for plenum gaskets leaking that will cause a lean condition

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

hi cajun555,
i also had the same year taurus and had the same code p430 and also there was an egr code,well turned out that a faulty egr sensor was causing the p430 catalytic converter to operate below threshold. after I replaced the sensor for the egr this cured the p430 code.
javsam

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I've checked for vacume leaks and the exhaust.

Just went down the road with the EGR system last year. I was setting a code of no egr gas detected. After replacing the vacum selenoid, egr valve and egr down line sensor ended up that it was simply the screen in the intake was carboned over not letting exhaust gas enter intake.

I reset the mil yesterday , made a 15 mile trip and light is on again. Haven't braved the 32 degrees and rain this am to retrieve code.

dolluper

Captain

Don't give up you just might be barking up the right tree as you stated you found carbon build up ,cleaned that and the same code came back .It is possible you have a bad O2 sensor and it works just well enough so you don't recieve a code for it.....It would cause your fuel to go rich or lean or both.....A test for INJECTOR DWELL should tell you. The inj/dwell test is for proper fuel feedback control.....how you do dat you ask well with a scope or like this link
http://www.auto-solve.com/inj_dwell.htm

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If you will drop me an e-mail i'll send you the diagnostic chart for the PO430 code.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Well, Monday retrived same code "P430". Pi** off , I reset MIL, wife drove car for the rest of the week. Light still off so I went to get the yearly state insp. Passed emmisions with flying colors, so I'm good for another 12 months or 22,000 miles, cause at 200,000 miles probally going to buy a new car.

However if the 430 code does show back up I will persue and correct the problem.

Many thanks and reel poor I'll shoot you an e-mail

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

cajun555 said:
Many thanks and reel poor I'll shoot you an e-mail

Not a problem. You also should have mail. 8)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My Taurus had the engine light on for 4 years and passed the emission test every time. Took the bulb out in the end !!!! It is in my opinion just a "cost money" light. Ford Contour did the same thing as did a Aerostar and a Windstar. All of them passed the emission test and ran just fine !!!! If it is running fine then leave it alone. If you have a problem with the emission test put a litre of acetone to half a tank of gas and take it in just before it is empty. Had that issue with the old Contour once.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

I wish it was that easy as just removing the bulb. Here in Texas, if your car is registerd in a high air polution county and its a 96 or newer vehicle the inspection place has a computer that plugs into the ob2 receptacle on your vehicle. The 2 computers talk to each other to determine if your car will pass the emissions. So simply pulling bulb out will not let the car pass. The ob2 will still tell the inspectors computer that ther is a problem.

As in previos post, It passed inspestion, I'm good for a year, and the light has not come back on in 2 weeks. Its got be a intermitant problem. Just been to cold to work on it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Wow that sucks !! Glad you are good for another year though. Ours is every 2 years and just a sniffer up the tailpipe. Nice if they dont put it too far up !!!
The acetone thing makes it burn hotter for a short while but it sure cleans up those readings. One car barely passed and then 2 years later with nothing done to it other than routine oil changes it blew real clean.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Thats ok, I think its already out on some cars is the OB3. Its a transmitter that if you pass some sort of reciever station, your cars computer will transmit a signal as to what condition your emission system is in. If it is something that needs to be repaired you will get a letter. I don't think any thing is implemented now because of a invasion of privacy law.