Anode on older LU

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
I have a '76 Johnson 115, that's going to spend next season in the water, and I can't seem to find any spots for anodes on it. I was wondering if the trim tab and plate on this lower unit are made from zinc and act as the anode. Or is there someplace I'm not looking?

I just find it hard to believe that OMC would make these with no spot for anodes and no protection.

Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anode on older LU

On the older models, people here used the larger teardrop shaped anode and bolted them to the top rear of the AV plate with stainless steel bolts.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks ezeke. I actually asked originally in the non repair forum and somebody told me about that, but I couldn't find them anywhere on this site, and didn't really know which ones to look for.

Then it occured to me that sometimes the trim plate and tab are made from zinc so I figured I would ask.

Any idea which size tear drop would work? Any ideas as to what to use for the transom bracket?

I was just gonna rig something up and use the pin holes on the outside of the bracket, as I only keep my pin in the bottom hole. Figured I could either bolt some zincs to the outside on both sides of the bracket, or move the engine up to the 2nd hole and use the bottom holes for a long bolt and put a zinc in the middle of the bracket, similar to how it's done on my newer engines.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Do I need to remove the paint on the AV plate where the whole zinc touches or just where the bolt head and nut are going to touch, in order for the anode to work correctly?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I use a T20 or CMT20 Zinc Anode on my 1976 115HP Johnson.

The anode is a 3.5" long teardrop:

http://www.boatzincs.com/t-20.html

With two bolts, It seems to always have good contact. I check it with amy ohm meter.