6hp 65 fisherman

freddyray21

Commander
Near as I can tell the reason this one quit working is that the cork float is hanging up in the bowl. I rebuilt the carb on it a couple of months ago and it was running fine. Loaned it to my brother in law to use on his sailboat. Pushed a 23 ft sailboat at 4 knots right along. Next time he went to use it wouldn't start. I determined it wasn't getting gas and pulled the carb back off. Pulled the float bowl off and checked the passageways and float valve. Seemed the float valve was sticking a bit and would not drop when the float came down. So, I pulled it out and cleaned the passageway out figuring some dirt got in there. Got is working good and put the float bowl back on and put the carb on the motor. Still no gas. Pulled it off again checked the float valve and it is operating fine. Put is back together and before I put it back on the motor I hooked the fuel line to it and I am not getting any gas to the bowl. Only thing I can figure is the cork float is swollen and sticking in the float bowl not letting it drop to let gas in. So I need a new float. If I have to buy the whole kit to get it that's okay they are pretty cheap anyway.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 6hp 65 fisherman

Any Johnson/Evinrude dealer will have the float too. You can either get it with a carb kit or separate. The aftermarket carb kit (18- number) does not come with one.

When you had it off, could you blow through the needle valve? (IE, it's not clogged). If your needle is rubber tipped, did you connect it to the float arm with the tiny spring provided? They tend to get stuck in the seat if that spring isn't present to pull it out when the float drops.

freddyray21

Commander

I was able to blow through it with carb cleaner it' is not clogged. It is rubber tipped, but there wasn't a spring to connect it to the float arm. That might be my problem. It doesn't look as if there is a place for the spring to hook to on this one, but I'll have to get my eyes out to see.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my Clymer does not show a springs, on the needle.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Back then the needle and seat didn't have the spring that Paul mentioned. New OEM needle and seat kits have the spring. It's also included in OEM carb kits.

EDIT: Just got to lookin'....seems the spring clip didn't show up in the smaller hp models till 78'/79'.....sound about right?

freddyray21

Commander

my kit did not have a spring and parts breakdown does not have one either. If someone has a sping laying around let me know

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

After market kits don't usually have the spring clip freddy. You can get one from your local J/Rude dealership for about $.42. PN is 336842. But what I don't know is if the needle you have has the groove to acept the spring. OEM needles have a groove around the end to acept the spring.

freddyray21

Commander

thanks. I will check. I do think it has the groove though. I don't think the carb had been apart until I got to it.

freddyray21

Commander

I checked no groove. I'll have to see if I can find another solution. Seems to me a poor design although it's been around since 65 working that way.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You can get the needle and seat kit from your local J/rude dealer..PN396522....$5 and some change. The whole carb kit is still available PN439071....includes float. bout' $25.

Paul Moir

Admiral

All the aftermarket needles & seats I've seen have the groove as well. Here's some pictures to give you the idea:
http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.c...horse Outboard Boat Motor/images/Evinru88.jpg

http://outboard-boat-motor-repair.c...horse Outboard Boat Motor/images/Evinru89.jpg

Naturally it's a simple device which can be fabricated if necessary from any fine wire. Garbage bag tie wire works for example.

You can look up exploded pictures at:
http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e
There's little difference between the '65 and the '68 6hp.