Pulled Cobra drive-Pics

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
I finally got time to pull my outdrive off today.It was much easier than i expected.Slid right of with a slight tug.

A couple questions, What is the best thing to remove the corrosion around the shift lever?

Does the pivot housing need to be removed for replacement of the bellows? The ujoint bellow was dry except for some grease in it. The bellows look to be in good shape.Ujoints are smooth feeling and rust free.
Should i grease it all up and put back together or order a bellows and gimbal kit for it?
The drive was running fine this year,no noise from the bearing..
boat-jack018.jpg

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pulled Cobra drive-Pics

we removed the pivot hsg to replace bellows. I believe it can be done w/o taking it off (sure doesn't look like it to me), but it's just a matter of removing the shift cable retainer and the two recessed hex bolts on the side -- you'll need a giant allen wrench for that. I think the 15 or 20 minutes to remove it is well worth the ease it provides in accessing the bellows.

By removing ours we were able to identify a worn hose on the transom as well.

The only catch is you have to reset the lower shift cable, but again, not that hard, and probably worth doing every few seasons anyway.

boatgrunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you read Stuart's article when adjusting the shift cable!! Many gears have been ruined by not properly adjusting the shift cable.

Also, good luck getting that thing back on. Mine was a wicked pain!!!! Do a search for some good tips, but either way, it can be tough. I finally got mine on by wiggling the u-joings with a screwdriver. Also, make sure to first use an alignment tool or it will NEVER go in.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, Not sure if i need to try one more season with the bellows and gimbal thats in it.
Not sure i want to mess with the shift cable..:%

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The best way to prevent the corrosion around the shift bell crank lever is to find the OMC kit that replaces the bushing with one that has the grease fitting on it. That way, you fill that entire cavity with grease so that water doesn't get into it in the first place.

Not sure how old your bellows are but if they are 5 years old or so, you should replace it. You need to remove the pivots and the shift cable to do this.

Make sure you rent ot buy an alignment tool before you put your drive back on.

Stick a screw driver into the u-joints as you are putting the drive back on to align the drive's shaft with the engine coupler.

If the gimbal bearing feels smooth, just re-grease it and leave it alone.

Make sure you replace that o-ring around the water passage before you replace the drive.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

thanks guys,I have an alignment tool and the gasket and rubber seal for the water passage.As easy as it came off i'm hoping the engine won't need aligning.
I guess i need to pull the pivot housing to inspect the gimbal bearing.i may as well replace everything if i do that.
My first time pulling a drive...Oh fun!!:%

Any idea where to get the kit for the shift housing?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Oh,got a link to that article BoatGrunt?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can ispect the gimbal bearing at the point you are at now.

It was a long time ago when I installed that kit. You might want to contact a dealer who carries OMC parts.

Here is the Hastings link:

Hastings

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thankyou Bruce! Whats the best way to check the bearing without removing it? The omc book doesn't say much about it other than how to remove and re-install..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You DO NOT have to order a kit that includes a gimbal bearing, just to replace the bellows. IF the gimbal bearing is good, then just change the bellows. You also don't have to remove the pivot housing, but you do have to remove the 2 pivot bolts. Then you can just pull the pivot housing aft enough to get the old bellows out and the new one back in. Then put the pivot bolts back in. and you are done.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

you can just stick your hand in and rotate the bearing to see if there is any roughness. If there is none, grease the bearing via the zerk on the starboard side of the transom housing, rotating the bearing as you pump in the grease(I use a helper).

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thankyou Don,Good advice.
I didn't think it was that big of deal to change bellows.
I'm not sure how old they are so why take a chance.
Just glad my u-joints and drive seals look good.d:)

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gary when he said feel for resistance that means ANY, have to use a fine touch and really feel. Shouldn't have to have hardly any pressure on fingertip at all and no roughness AT ALL