doing business with the machines

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
The pay-at-the-pump thread kinda got me thinking about transacting business with humans vs machines.

Our customer surveys here are overwhelming in favor of do-it-yourself electronic transactions from ticketing to check-in (airline).
Some walmarts & grocery stores don't man any express checkout lanes anymore in favor of self-checkout.
Don't see the inside of a bank (even a drive-thru) but maybe once every other year or so.
Gasoline.
Investment portfolio.
Mail-order pharmacy with on-line reordering.
Shopping for just about anything.
What else?

What's next, automated fast food? Electronic church? Self-service heart surgery?

I'm not complaining exactly - lines are shorter, mistakes less likely, lower probability of encountering a clerk with a 'tude. We write about two checks a month everything else is electronic - the "checkbook" (the next generation will wonder where that term came from) virtually balances itself in "real time" (as opposed to "imaginary time"). And some days you just don't want to deal with people.

On the other hand, try resolving a problem, asking a question, making a special request. Limited flexibility. Less likely to make a friend, fewer opportunities for flirting. And some days you just want somebody to use for a punching bag (figuratively speaking of course).

Where we headed with this?

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: doing business with the machines

jtexas said:
What's next, automated fast food?

That would be a step in the right direction. I can't count the number of times I get the wrong order in the drive thru. How hard can "Number 3 large size with a Coke" be to get right?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

My gripe is I ask for 2 cream & 1 sugar, 'cuz they never volunteer to put them in....
Think that helps?
Yeah, right!:|

gonefishie

Commander

It would be great if the gas pump can dispense drink and cigarette too. 8) No more waiting in line behind some jackazz playing the lottery.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I was cruising along diggin your vibe and then read this-

jtexas said:
... On the other hand, try resolving a problem, asking a question, making a special request. Limited flexibility. Less likely to make a friend, fewer opportunities for flirting. And some days you just want somebody to use for a punching bag (figuratively speaking of course).

Where we headed with this?

That's funny stuff right there.

Quote: 10:32am Today by jtexas
... On the other hand, try resolving a problem, asking a question, making a special request. Limited flexibility.
When a mistake is made with a computer it takes a human to straighten it out. I get your drift and how it relates to the pay first etc. I was in Bakersfield the other day (County Seat for Kern County, home of the punchy doughtnut eating Deputies) and put a ten and 3 fives in the pump the pump shut off at Fifteen, Sent the boy to get someone to set it right. I figured I had just lost my ten but a lady came out and opened the machine and said she could see a ten stuck in the chute. It still took the better part of a half hour to get the rest of my fuel. Can you imagine what would have happened if it had been an unattended machine? :yikes:

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

technostingray said:
ten stuck in the chute.
Ten wasn't enough for you- you wanted 12 stuck in your chute! :$

technostingray said:
Can you imagine what would have happened if it had been an unattended machine? :yikes:
I imagine you would have been out of a ten!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

technostingray said:
It still took the better part of a half hour to get the rest of my fuel. Can you imagine what would have happened if it had been an unattended machine? :yikes:

If you had been ZmOz using a debit card, you'd still be there.

RubberFrog said:
technostingray said:
ten stuck in the chute.
]
I imagine you would have been out of a ten!

It just occured to me why you use the handle "Rubber"
Hi, my name is Rubber Frog and I am a sexual deviate.

Link

Rear Admiral

Have a different take on this.
Shopping for most things.. online, let the mailman carry the stuff.
Shopping in a store.. if I take the time to go to YOUR store you either have a real person at check out or I don't buy.
Banks: Both of ours have drive through and real people to deal with. If not I don't do business with them.
Bill paying: Old school, once a month we sit down with a ledger and write checks.
Buying gas/diesel: If I can't drive up, slide a card fill up and leave I don't go there.

There are always exceptions of course.
When driving in Oregun your just scre%d .. not allowed to pump your own gas.
Must wait for some one to walk (slowly) out to ask you what you want (like you didn't already know)
Then it takes them twice the time to do the same thing.

I need to replace a hot water heater this week.
I did not go to each store and look at them.
I just went online and researched what I wanted and then went to lowes/homedepot.com ordered and paid.
It will be waiting in will call when I drive over there after I finish this post.
Yea right :)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am all for automation. I write one check a month for rent, everything else is online. Whenever I go to Home Depot I use the self-serve lane. I hate going to Wal-mart, but I would like it more if it had a self-serve lane

The downside to all this automation is the elimination of jobs. Get rid of the cashiers and clerks, there are just that many more jobless people out there, you guessed it, on welfare. Its like that movie I-robot. All the shyte work was done by robots, but the movie never explained what happened to all the people who were replaced by the robots. Maybe they became robot cleaners? or would there be robots that clean the robots? Are we heading towards automation achieving consciousness? Will we be kickin' it Matrix style, or Terminator style? Have I lost my own mind? Am I just bored because I can't fish until April?....

JasonJ said:
... I hate going to Wal-mart, but I would like it more if it had a self-serve lane

The downside to all this automation is the elimination of jobs...
Will we be kickin' it Matrix style, or Terminator style? Have I lost my own mind? Am I just bored because I can't fish until April?....
Ah,(comma supplied courtesy boatBOY) at last one I don't have to bump. Interesting comment about Wal*mart (TM) not having self serve lane as I know they are very common in OR where it is illegal to pump your own gas. You may have lost your mind but at least you know the cause and where you can find it. ;)

ndemge

Commander

JasonJ.... I don't think your eliminating a job, just moving it over a bit.

Instead of having a cashier at walmart, you now have a guy that goes around installing/ fixing automated checkout lanes. You now have a guy in a Factory MAKING auto checkout lanes. You now have a guy in the admin office selling auto checkout lanes.....

The one job was turned into 10. From highpaid guy that programs the thing, to the low paid low tech guy that assembles it. So whatever your skill level, this new "job eliminator" will create more jobs.