boat upolstry

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: boat upolstry

You have to have the picture "hosted" by a site like Photobucket.com. You can then copy the link or the image to this forum. Photobucket is free.

boatingman

Recruit

DSC01500-1.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p159/jgooch1415/DSC01503.jpg[/I
DSC01502.jpg
MG]
DSC01501.jpg

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

typical bayliner it seems. Sorry but I've got one too.
Mines and 86 20ft. Some of the other things you have to consider is how you want the seats to look when you're done. Done want that piping replaced also? I mean what would it be if your skin didn't get pinched by it?
For the corners it's functional. else where it's just decorative.

Also, the cost of foam has sky rocket recently. I agreed to pay someone an initial estimate of $700 to do my entire boat; both front fold down seats, the rear corner seat, all the cushions in the cubby cabin and the 4 side panels in the passenger area. By the time she got down, the cost had jumped to $1200, just about my cut off. It was all because of the foam.

In her defense however, she is a professional. My seats are awesome, better than when new. So I'm not complaining. THe foam was purchased from an actual "foam factory" here in Michigan and they have a machine that makes all the sculptured cuts in the foam. Everything was cut to fit.

I also had to replace all the wood in every seat and cushion due to black mold. I was not going to risk having that return. I went with both 1/2in and 3/4in wulmanized wood and then painted all surfaces of that with oil based enamel paint made for decks and garage floors (available at HD for $17 a gallon.) Theoretically these seats should out last me - good.

My boats in storage for the winter at another location, but if I get over there anytime soon I'll take some pictures for you. I haven't yet actually installed them. In fact I have the old stuff laying around too so I'll get some before and after shots.

Personally I wouldn't do sculptured seats myself. If I can find a good price, I'll pay. If it's just flat square (or simple shaped seats) then I would do them myself.

Interestingly, I ran into an old friend recently who worked for a time a boat restoration facility. He said that what they did was make the new covers install them on the templates, and then fill them with some kind of two stage spray foam. I can't see that being that comfortable, although I don't know exactly what they were using. Would be interesting to see in operation.

If you're in Michigan and want recommendation for the person I used, contact me.

SwampThing

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BTW- it's upholstery (silent H there got ya)

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My cushions were all torn up and I had to do something. Having very little money but an abundance of ignorance I decided to do it my self. Very happy I did.

Job probably would have been a little nicer if done professionally, but it looks nice, cost a whole lot less, and I can look at it with pride. Along the way I learned:

1. Use outdoor rated vinyl - boat or auto. I bought from the people at http://yourautotrim-store.stores.yahoo.net/ . Very helpful and knowledgeable. There are others, but they worked well for me.
2. I used a simple sewing machine. Had to be careful, work slowly, and did have problems with needles breaking, but it worked. Sounds like an used commercial machine would have been nice, but not vital.
3. Use thread rated for U/V. Same people I used for the vinyl had the thread.
4. I have a 1988 Chaparral and found the same vinyl that was used originally (company and color). Really made it nice as i used the boat with a couple of new cushions every month.
5. I found the foam to be the most expensive part.
6. Found the wood backing to be rotted on a lot of the cushions. Got plywood and sealed with multiple coats of spar varnish to seal.
7. Took middle cushion cover to someone who had the computer driven sewing machine that puts names on hats. They were able to sew the name of the boat on the seat back. Looks really nice.
8. Try looking athttp://www.upholster.com/howto/ for some information.

Good luck, take your time and it will come out great