Problem pumping out oil

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
I have a '91 Larson All American 190 with a Yamaha stern drive 4.3L V6 205HP. This weekend I tried to pump out the oil with this: http://www.iboats.com/mall/?session..._id=246638&list_time=1164755614&view_id=56374

I let the engine warm up for about 10 minutes and tried...nothing, then I tried it the next day with the oil cool...nothing. I made sure the hose was at least as long as the dip stick as well. The boat was flat too, or maybe even tilted back towards the oil pan. Any ideas why this isn't working or what I could be doing wrong?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Problem pumping out oil

Sounds like maybe the pump is not working.When you pull the hose back out is there any oil on the end?

I use a drill pump from my local Napa store. I put a garden hose female end on the suction side and it screws right on my dipstick tube.
Does your 4.3 have the threads on the dipstick tube for a screw on hose?

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Gary said:
Sounds like maybe the pump is not working.When you pull the hose back out is there any oil on the end?

I use a drill pump from my local Napa store. I put a garden hose female end on the suction side and it screws right on my dipstick tube.
Does your 4.3 have the threads on the dipstick tube for a screw on hose?

It does have threads on the dip stick end. I verified that the pump does work by pumping some fresh oil through it. When I pull the hose back out, it does have oil on the end of it. Also, I have let it run at 5 minutes at a time.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

That is strange. Could the tube be bending in the bottom of the pan when you push it in?
I know the drill pump method works great when the hose is screwed on.I tried a small plastic tube down the dipstick hole one time with not much luck also.
The pump i use now is made by Balkamp in the Napa parts book. I think it was around 20 bucks. It sucks the oil out in about 3 minutes.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your dipstick tube has a garden hose thread on the top of the tube, then you don't need another tube inside the dipstick tube. Hook a hose with a hose threaded fitting onto the dipstick and to your oil pump. Make sure there aren't any air leaks or it WILL suck air and not oil. The dipstick tube is designed to be in the bottom of the pan (if internal) but most were actually screwed to the bottom of the pan.
Then warm the engine till the oil pan is warm, not the temp gauge, and drain the oil.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

Don said:
If your dipstick tube has a garden hose thread on the top of the tube, then you don't need another tube inside the dipstick tube. Hook a hose with a hose threaded fitting onto the dipstick and to your oil pump. Make sure there aren't any air leaks or it WILL suck air and not oil. The dipstick tube is designed to be in the bottom of the pan (if internal) but most were actually screwed to the bottom of the pan.
Then warm the engine till the oil pan is warm, not the temp gauge, and drain the oil.

I may have to try a different pump. The instructions on the pump say to insert one end into dip stick tube. The tube is smaller so you can insert it and it doesn't have any method (out of the box) for screwing it to the dip stick tube.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can probably use the same pump and put a garden hose adapter on the end of your hose.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

bruceb58 said:
You can probably use the same pump and put a garden hose adapter on the end of your hose.

Do you know anyone that makes an adapter? The hose and fitting for the hose on my pump is for a quater inch tube. I'm thinking that may not work.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That might be tough then. You could try Home Depot and get some fittings that could step it up in size.

I just use the hand pump. The one I use is ITT 340600130. You have to make sure you get the version with the brass garden hose fitting at the bottom.

ron7000

Banned

I had one of those style oil extractors a long time ago, they're a piece of sh1t. The one I had looked a lot like your pic. Mine needed to be primed and it was very hard to do considering there's 3-4 feet of tube on the suction side and you're pulling oil upwards a few feet. Then if you get any air in it during the oil change it would crap out and you would have to reprime it.

I went with a tempo vacuum extractor and have had it for years. they're more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I noticed your link doesn't say anything about self priming, so for $20 it most likely doesn't.

259057_d.jpg

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same pump that ron7000 has ( Tempo vacuum extractor).Love it! I use it on lawn mowers,to lazy to pull plug out bottom. I even have use it on sucking any oil or anything I spill in the bildge.I went to hardware store and bought some longer hose for it though.That pump will suck the oil out of my engine it very short time,even if I don't warm engine.
Also the people that make it are very helpful.I broke the handle on it,called them and they shipped me one free of charge.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The problem with Tempo Oil Boy pump for me is that it doesn't have the capacity for my 7.4L engine which has 8 qts in its crankcase.