help no spark out of one plug wire

turn_it_up02

Recruit
one of the spark plug wire is not igniting. i tried new spark plugs but still no spark. What do i have to do to fix it? or what parts do i have to buy to get it fix?

turn_it_up02

Recruit
Re: help no spark out of one plug wire

turn_it_up02 said:
one of the spark plug wire is not igniting. i tried new spark plugs but still no spark. And wont start most of the time. What do i have to do to fix it? or what parts do i have to buy to get it fix? the serial number is 5524R

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Find a small engine repair shop and have them pull the flywheel and check things for you. You may just have some carbon build up

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it's a 1962 parts available at laingsoutboards.com probably a coil. while under the flywheel it's not that expensive to replace it all.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It would help if you told us the hp and age of the engine. I am assuming that this is two or more cylinders - switch the coil, plug wire and plug to another cylinder. If the problems follows - - you have it. If that does not pin it down start looking at points & condensers. In any case do a spark test and make sure that the spark jumps a 3/8" gap with a brite blue snap. Buy or make a testor if you don't have one - holding the plug to the block won't cut it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your 1962 5.5hp Evinrude uses two, independent magnetos for ignition. They only share the flywheel and timing cam. If one sparks they are both working okay.

Your problem could be as simple as a failed condenser or a point dropped off the arm. It might also be a failed coil.

Replacing parts in the hope that it will make a problem go away is the most expensive and least effective method of troubleshooting known to man.

Get a Service Manual and troubleshoot it. It will probably require a learning curve, but in the end every penny will be returned several times over.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Worked (recently too) on WAY too many old under 10hp Johnnys and I can put at 99% fixed if you do this..

NEW 20 dollar Coil..(do both)
Heres what you might find on a 62.(AND IT STILL SPARKED!)

PICT0009.jpg