94 Mariner 115 kill circuit problem?

COYOTE54

Cadet
Very weak spark on my Mariner 115 until I disconnect the kill circuit wire from the switch box on the engine. Then I get nice hot spark.

Kill wire to ground shows 12.5 volts when ignition switch is on and 0 volts when switch is off.

Where do I go from here?

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 94 Mariner 115 kill circuit problem?

I would test the continuity from the disconnect kill ciruit wire at the switch box to ground with the kill switch in the Run position. If you have continuity the kill circuit is not working right.

Next test the actual kill switch with the wires unhooked at the switch. Continuity with the switch in the off position and none in the run.

If good, the wiring from the switch box to the kill switch is grounded along the way. You can look for a rub or just run a new wire from the box to the kill switch.

Hope this helps.

COYOTE54

Cadet

My switches check out OK, and I have continuity throughout the cable. My engine will run with the kill wire disconnected from the switch box, but dies when the kill wire is reconnected. So apparently I have a short in my cable? The cable has a 2002 manuf. date, and I can find no nicks/rubs in it. Is it possible to have an internal short to ground within the cable?

Thanks.

Laddies

Banned

There should be no voltage at all on the blk/yellow kill wire, it should be open for run and grounded for stop just like a magneto. Any voltage will kill the system, the most likely sorce of the voltage is a bad ign. switch but it could be a shorted wire, do not hook the wire to the box till you find the short or it will burn the ign. system up

COYOTE54

Cadet

Laddies, I'm glad you replied. I've been reading your posts for a while now and you know your stuff.

I put the muffs on again and strung a new kill wire from the ignition switch. It doesn't kill the motor when attached like the "stock" wire does, but it does have 3 to 6 volts in the run position. The stock wire has 12.5 volts in the run position when it's attached. So maybe I've got 2 issues--a bad cable and a voltage leaking switch???

I have dual controls for my kicker, I'll swap ign. switches and see what happens.

Thanks.

Laddies

Banned

Sounds like a leakage in the switch or a back feed of some type in the ground system to the switch, have you changed any accessories that are hooked to the console lately that could have a problem and back feed the switch, if not the groung off wire to the switch is the black wire the is grounded on the engine on the bolt that holds the starter solinoid to the engine, remove it and ck for voltage if there is none then it's the switch causing the problem

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Laddies said:
Sounds like a leakage in the switch or a back feed of some type in the ground system to the switch, have you changed any accessories that are hooked to the console lately that could have a problem and back feed the switch, if not the groung off wire to the switch is the black wire the is grounded on the engine on the bolt that holds the starter solinoid to the engine, remove it and ck for voltage if there is none then it's the switch causing the problem

could the mercury switch have gone bad? Or does it have one? Just an idea>>>>>.............Jerry

COYOTE54

Cadet

Speaking of the "mercury switch". I don't seem to have one, nor do I see it in my wiring diagram. I read a couple other posts where folks are missing this switch. I understand that it is a mercury bubble (like a household thermostat) to detect too much tilt in the motor and shut the ignition down. I don't think I have one.

I'll check the ground tomorrow. As to the addition of any accessories...I did add 4 interior lights for night fishing/crabbing, but those got wired into an unused accessory switch utilizing a separate dashboard fuseblock which is wired independently back to the battery. Also my problem occurred a week after installing them.

Thanks, again.