What does this mean?

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
Sorry in advance to the mods of the forum but I can't figure out where to ask this question apart from d.c.......

Sitting in a hospital waiting room the other day (long story, another time perhaps!) and I picked up "Boat International" Magazine and started to flick through. Most of the stuff in there is whacky prices US$ 1million plus! In fact I couldn't even stretch to the tenders that were advertised :'(

Anyway, back to the question that's really vexxing me...............

A lot of the adverts carried a dicslaimer which stated:

"Not for sale or charter to US residents while in US waters"

What does that mean?

Is it some sort of tax thing or is there something else strange about this?

Must admit it wasn't just one or two boats either, it was a vast number of them! I've never seen this before and it probably has a very logical and simple explanation that I'm missing so I thought I'd ask out of sheer curiousity because like I said I'll never afford any of the floating gin palaces that the adverts referred to.............. :'(

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What does this mean?

stan, I would bet that it has something to do with taxes or privacy issues, not sure though.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I suspect as you did that it may well be a tax aviodance scheme, supported by various convient loop-hole exploits which the many benefactors for such dealings have lobbied for.
The bottom line is, somewhere somehow this is in the best inrerest of all Americans.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I wonder under what flag these little toys are sailing.
A US resident has to register his vehicle in a US office of vehicle registration,thereby submitting to US vehicle inspecting and US code.This costs a lot and often the engines do not pass pollution standards.Never mind sales tax which is another little problem.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I beleieve Rolmops has hit it on the head. In the small tractor market you'll find tons of older Kubota's and Yanmars that were made to operate anywhere but USA. These are called grey market because they are not exactly legal here but not exactly illegal either. They usually don't meet safety standards such as ROPS (roll over protection system), seat belts, etc. They are still bringing in containers of these tractors everyday. In every case the man. refuses to condone it since they might be liable if something goes wrong. Yanmar has even went so far to sue several of the big dealers in these machines to force them to stop. Ya can't buy a grey market Yanmar on Ebay anymore cuz they sued them too.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is the best I can come up with stan.
This means that it is a foreign built boat and is not documentable in the US by the currnt owner. They have not paid any duty on it. It is not built in the United States and is owned by a foreign owner. It is not documentable in the US because of the foreign manufacture, nor is it usable for charter.

Twidget

Commander

It is probably a foreign flag vessel, a tax dodge if you will. I always find it funny when there are complaints that the US has no merchant marine anymore...they are all flagged from small African nations to avoid taxes.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Well, cheers for that guys! I had a funny feeling it had to do with taxes/flags etc but didn't know.

Just goes to show that iboats is really is the source of all info!

Thanks for letting me sleep better tonite! d:)