MW Sea King 5hp 1955

tmljunkmail

Seaman
What a great site this is.....great info.

I'm having some issues with my Sea King.

It always starts on the first 1-2 pulls and runs great.

However, after about 3-5 min of running it gets labored and eventually stalls (though seizing might be a better way to describe it). After it stops.....there is a release of smoke which lasts for about 2-10 seconds. (It runs pretty smoke free before that point).

I assume this is because the unit is overheating.

After 5-10 min it will start right back up again without problem.....but then same cycle with stalling.

I'm guessing that this has something to do with the water not pumping though the unit properly.

I do note that what appears to be an exhaust port at the very top of the lower unit (about 3" below the top of the motor unit) does not have any water flowing through it during operation. In some of the posts i read in here it seems like the experts are saying water should be comming out of here....though I'm a little unclear about that.

I triple checked my fuel/oil and I am at 24:1 with the proper marine 2 stroke oil.

I've NEVER worked on a 2 stroke engine before (or really any small engine for that matter) but I am very mechanically oriented and did purchase the manual the other day (which I expect any day now).

Anyone have any ideas?

Does it appear that I have the right idea with the problem?

Is this something that I will be able to deal with on my own?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

tmljunkmail

Seaman
Re: MW Sea King 5hp 1955

Oh...also forgot....that exaust port seems to be leaking some oil out of it.....

(which might be normal from what I am seeing on other posts)....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It sure sounds like it is over heating.Water should come out of the exhaust port about 1/2 way down the leg.
You can destroy your motor allowing it to do that.
Pump is similar to Evinrude/Johnson 5.5 of similar years.
Relatively simple repair for the machanicaly inclined.

tmljunkmail

Seaman

Ok....so the larger hole (approx 1" x 1") right above the prop (which actually looks more like an exaust hole) is actually the pump intake?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

They built 4 or 5 versions of the Gale built 5 we need to confirm if this is the one with full gear shift.If it is then it is similar to the E/J 5.5 motors.As I understand it there are some differences but procedures should be the same.I think you are describing the underwater exhaust opening.I believe the water intake may be on the leading edge of that.Where ever it is it should have some sort of screen.The Ken cook manual should have the procedure for pump replacement.You do have to remove the power head to unhook the shift linkage.But
don't let that scare you.Pay close attention to the water tube to the powerhead as well as its connection points.
You may want to check the lower unit lube.If it is milky you should replace the seals.You remove the large flat head screws to drain it, not the smaller phillips screw.Refill through the bottom hole til lube comes out top hole.Replace top plug then bottom.You should put new gaskets on these screws.Most likely the oily stuff coming out of the exhaust outlet is exhaust residue it usually smells gassy.
Be sure to note that most bolt torque specs are in inch pounds.

tmljunkmail

Seaman

ok....here is the data on the motor.....

Model# 54GG-9001
Serial# 18109

Here are some Photos...

Attachments

• PICT0033.JPG
    58 bytes · Views: 1
  • PICT0032.JPG
    58 bytes · Views: 0
  • PICT0031.JPG
    58 bytes · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

These motors are built by the Gale devision of OMC.
I don't find that number only 54GG9010 or 54GG9011
The 54 indicates a 1945 motor.
That would be a straight drive no shift and those don't share any parts with the Johnson/Evinrude lines.
It would share parts with the many other private label motors built by Gale.And may share ignition parts with
the old Johnson TD20 and HD 25 motors.
The 55 motors are GG9001A or B And I'm not certain
of the A & B signifiy.
Because of the many 5hp versions it is difficult to pinpoint what model is what unless you are a Gale production expert.However The full gearshift models do share parts W E/J.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

These motors are built by the Gale devision of OMC.
I don't find that number only 54GG9010 or 54GG9011
The 54 indicates a 1945 motor.
That would be a straight drive no shift and those don't share any parts with the Johnson/Evinrude lines.
It would share parts with the many other private label motors built by Gale.And may share ignition parts with
the old Johnson TD20 and HD 25 motors.
The 55 motors are GG9001A or B And I'm not certain
of the A & B signifiy.
Because of the many 5hp versions it is difficult to pinpoint what model is what unless you are a Gale production expert.However The full gearshift models do share parts W E/J.Do you have a full gearshift?

tmljunkmail

Seaman

That was a typo.....it IS a 9011.

So its a 1945 not a 1955?

Does that change anything significant with respect to the repairs needed?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, thats a 45 Sea King. It should spit a mist of water out of the chevron slots on the back of the leg...if not, the wobbler impeller is either shot or just not there. The folks on the Ask A Member board at http://www.aomci.org can tell you where to find an impeller...buy two if you plan to keep/use this motor. Its not a hard job to change the impeller...if you can replace a doorknob you can do this simple maintenance. If your Ken Cook manual doesnt cover the impeller, I'd get a refund.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Those motors were 16:1 fuel mix (8 ozs per
gallon) Use TCW3 rated oil.Check at www.aomci.org for their feelings on proper fuel mix.It is possible they may feel 24:1 is ok with modern oils.