Duramax & Allison

JRJ

Commander
I'm considering a new pickup and wondering how those of you that own the GMC/Chevrolet HD's like them. Thanks for any info.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Duramax & Allison

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big three as long as you do the maintenance. Personally, I think if you're going to do any serious towing you should consider a manual transmission. Truck people are brand loyal (as you know) but I did get an interesting opinion from my veterinarian who has an F250 Powerstroke 6.0, a Dodge 2500 Cummins HO, and a Chevy 2500 Duramax, all similar years. I found that to be quite unique, as most people prefer one brand over another to a very high degree. He said the Dodge pulls the best out of the three and the Chevy is the most comfortable and that the Ford is somewhere in the middle. Pick whichever one you like best...

JRJ

Commander

Thanks bjcsc, I'll take that as a positive for the Chevy. I have a Cummins and a 5-speed. (no complaints) I'm looking for comfort and no clutch now8)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I personally do not recommend a standard transmission for recreational towing. Besides being a pain in the butt in heavy traffic situations, the creature comforts of the automatic and the fact the automatic knows best what gear to be in at under any condition makes it a better situation. Nothing inherently wrong with the manual, but you will get tired of shifting. Whatever you buy, pay attention to axle ratio. That's what makes the difference between a good tow vehicle and a great tow vehicle.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I sure like the Allison transmission with the manual gear select switch on the transmission select lever.

If you are going with the Duramax, I don't believe there is any other tranny you can get than the Allison...manual may not be offered...at least on 07 models. I am going to be talking to my friends at the factory to see what's up.

Also...3.73 is going to be the only rear end ratio, which is fine with the diesel.

The 2500HD super crew with the Duramax is going to be my next vehicle.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd love to have an Alison mated up to my 2005 Cummins...

MRS

Commander

SwampNut said:
I'd love to have an Alison mated up to my 2005 Cummins...
Amen I have a 2001 Cummins always been a GM guy but love my Cummins motor........................

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was always a Ford guy, but was disappointed in their recent trucks. One thing about the Dodge that I like a lot is the turning radius; I can u-turn with my 28-footer in three lanes. The power is of course ridiculous. I drove the Chevy and found it lacking in back support (I have a bad lower back) and hideously ugly. I never thought I'd buy a Chrysler product, but after trying them all, I had to.

JRJ

Commander

Chevy salesmen tell me there will be a 3,000+ price hike on the 07 1/2 next generation Duramax in the new body style. Any truth to that or just sales bs?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can do a price check right now online at kbb.com. The old body style is available in 07 as well as the new one. The old body style is called the 07 silverado classic.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found that each of the big trucks have some nice features and some not so nice. I don't really have any brand loyalty and finally settled on the '06 Duramax.

Here is my thoughts on the best of each along with my concerns (and I am sure there will be plenty who disagree):
1. Dodge has the nicest looking interior/dash. Auto trans longevity is suspect when pared with the Cummins.
2. Ford body style is great, . Rumors floated about '06 Powerstroke problems.
3. Isuzu Duramax + 6 speed Allison is unbeatable. Cheap plastic dash and front seats don't recline all the way.

The Allison engine braking feature is really cool, it stops my truck with a 3000# slide in camper in about the same distance as my old 1/2 ton empty. Way cool.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Allison has been building commercial truck tranny's for decades. No doubt they're good. Probably not one automatic bobtail around (domestic) that isn't being shifted by an Allison; and some offshore, too.

Dodge got the black eye on it's auto tranny's 8-10 years ago but has listened to lackluster sales and customers gripes and has a new auto tranny out now that should solve that problem. Also they listened some more and solved the soft brake issue and made the ride comparable to GM. I just completed a 2300 mile trip in my newest one running 10 hrs a day and had very little fatigue and zero back problems for a guy with a bad (sometimes) back.

Haven't been to the Ford house since '91. Got an F-350 460 4 sp OD that's lackluster. Those boys and GM got too proud of their toys for me when Chrysler was offering what it was offering for what it was offering it for.

So my line up is '91 Ford F 350 dually, '97 Chev Tahoe, '98 Dodge 1500, '05 Dodge 1500. Obviously the best engineered is the '05. The Ford moves 1800-2000# round bales of hay with a hay spike in the mud. Any of these trucks will (and have) take(n) my boat to the lake or my calves to the market.

Besides, it is irrevelant. It's your money and you'll spend it where you want. That's your perogative.

Mark

JRJ

Commander

How well are the Dodge Diesel automatics holding up?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Before you buy a truck wait until the new Chevy/GMC 900 series are out. The 1/2 tons are out now and the 3/4 and 1 tons are going to be out in early 07. They have made a lot of mods to the chassis/body. Engines remain the same.

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

The newer ones seem to be doing fine. I only have 28k on mine so there's no longevity to speak of yet, but I have not been able to find any horror stories like there were about the earlier ones.

JRJ

Commander

SwampNut said:
The newer ones seem to be doing fine. I only have 28k on mine so there's no longevity to speak of yet, but I have not been able to find any horror stories like there were about the earlier ones.

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping they were improved.

MRS

Commander

JRJ said:
I have a 2001 with a auto and have it (trans) serviced once a year 85,000 on truck and no trans problems so far.8)

JRJ

Commander

Good deal MRS. Nice to hear positive reports.