Starter and year of motor

Huskerscott

Recruit
:'(I just bought a pontoon with a 70HP Mercury on it. The Pontoon is a 1988 but I think the motor is newer. Can anyone tell me the year of the motor based on the serial #??? The serial # is #0B275756. I ran the starter too long and I THINK I burned out the starter. Now all it does is "clicks". The battery shows good power, any ideas??????
Thanks

canadian_fisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter and year of motor

Hello Huskerscott.

Welcome to iBoats.
A good website to know is.....

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com[/url]

By typing in your Serial Number, you can get details pictures of you make / model.
Your model # 1070412BD (not sure that helps with your question).

As for your outboard starter, if you ran it straight off and on for over 2-3 minutes, the damage may be done.
Basically, it overheats, and delaminates the windings inside the motor. (known as the Armature). Or you might get lucky and simply get a rebuild kit.

Another problem could be a dirty Bendix (the part that spins to the flywheel). Take some spray cleaner and hit it a few time and manually move the Benix to meet the flywheel.

Try that and report back.....
CF

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

It is a 1988 motor, when you say it clicks, do you know if it's the motor or the starter solenoid clicking? You may want to bypass the solenoid incase it's contact points inside are burned or corroded.

Huskerscott

Recruit

canadian_fisher said:
Hello Huskerscott.

Welcome to iBoats.
A good website to know is.....

http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com[/url]

By typing in your Serial Number, you can get details pictures of you make / model.
Your model # 1070412BD (not sure that helps with your question).

As for your outboard starter, if you ran it straight off and on for over 2-3 minutes, the damage may be done.
Basically, it overheats, and delaminates the windings inside the motor. (known as the Armature). Or you might get lucky and simply get a rebuild kit.

Another problem could be a dirty Bendix (the part that spins to the flywheel). Take some spray cleaner and hit it a few time and manually move the Benix to meet the flywheel.

Try that and report back.....
CF

Thanks for the info. I will try this tonight(starter). . I am glad I went on this TODAY. This was quick and helpful. Thanks Again.
Scott

Huskerscott

Recruit

Boatin said:
It is a 1988 motor, when you say it clicks, do you know if it's the motor or the starter solenoid clicking? You may want to bypass the solenoid incase it's contact points inside are burned or corroded.

I will try that. I don't know where the solenoid is or what it is but will find a picture of what that looks like. I am trying to avoid a BIG $$ repair bill if I can do it myself. Thanks for your help.
Scott

Huskerscott

Recruit

Boatin said:

I was just talking to someone about the starter vs the solenoid. I now know what it looks like. They said to "jump start" the solenoid as you would like a car. Would that be right??? Then, does it matter was side is positive and which side is negative when you "Jump" start it??? Thanks for the trouble. I'm not very good at this.

canadian_fisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HS.

Jumping means you are crossing the TWO big mean looking wires on the top of the selenoid. The smaller ones are Ignition and GND.
You'll need a solid pieces of insulated copper or jumper cables as they'll be a bunch of current and big old spark.
Word of advise, hit and hold on the nut instead of tapping. You'll pit the crap out of threads.

Note: The motor can and will start if done properly. Never run a motor out of water, or you'll blow the pump in a matter of seconds. Keep the key to off if your just testing the starter.

CF

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Yep...just like cf says you want to jump across the 2 big wires on the solenoid. all you need is one jumper cable (or half if your wires are joined together) . There will be sparks so be prepared!

gregtobin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you cranked your starter for a long time, you could also have worn down your battery. Put the battery on a charger overnight and try again. Or substitute a known good battery.

Be careful jumping the contacts on your solonoid. We used to lay a screwdriver across the contacts, but it eventually burned a groove in the screwdriver!. If jumping across the solonoid works and your starter circuit doesn't, check out your wiring to the starter. It is possible that your connections are corroded (take apart and sand until shiny) or your cables are broken (mine were!).

If your starter clicks and then spins but does not turn the flywheel on the engine, you may have a corroded bendix (again, this was one of my problems). Use a small screwdriver to pry upwards or a needlenose pliers to grasp and pull up on the bendix while you turn it back and forth. Spray some penetrating oil (I used Sea Foam on the advice of others here) and try to pull up the bendix. Hit the start button a few times, and the oil might do the trick and get the bendix running.

Good luck!