no oil alarm on 225

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everybody. It's been a long time since I logged in. Was really getting interested in this forum pre-Katrina. Things are getting back to normal and so are some of the priorities around here. Mainly boating and some of the small problems that happen as a boat owner.

I have a '99 225 with the 4 wire vro system. Made an offshore trip yesterday and it ran great. Today i was washing the boat and inspecting under the "hood". Decided to run it on the hose with some salt-X in the flush. The NO-OIL alarm came on. I've searched the previous questions and answers but none address my specific qustion.
The engine appears to be getting oil, it smokes slightly while on the hose. I removed the oil line at the pump and squeezed the primer to check for restrictions. O.K. flow. Installed a clear 1/4" hose about 12 inches long on the oil inlet at the pump. Filled hose with oil and ran the engine. The oil was slowly getting pulled into the pump but again the NO-OIL alarm sounded. This is a test the book suggested. It also said to feel the pulse hose for constant pulses. I get no pulses on the pulse hose. Maybe I'm not holding the hose all the way closed.
Question; The 4 wires on the oil pump are connected to the outside section of the oil pump that appears to be a circuit board encased in gel. Has anyone ever seen that electrical section of the pump go bad? Can it be replaced?
This is a factory replacement pump that is only about 18 months old. This engine is well maintaned. New water pump each year, thermostats every other year, synthetic oil in the foot, semi-synthetic oil in the engine and compression check twice a year. All electrical connections on the engine are sprayed with corrsion-X.
Any help with the no oil alarm would be appriciated.

ob

Admiral
Re: no oil alarm on 225

Sounds like you've done what you can to insure that the oil feed line is primed and purged of any air.The alarm you are getting is indeed the rapid short tones ,right?Anyway,while the alarm is sounding while running on the hose,tey disconnecting the 4 wire amphenol connector from the vro unit and verify that it will silence the alarm.That way ,you know you're not chasing ghost signals from the oil reservoir or overheat sensors.Sometimes the alarm itself is culprit.

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The gauge has 4 lights in it. The first warning light is for NO-OIL. The last light in the gauge is for low oil and it is fine.The alarm is constant and starts about 1 minute after running engine on the hose. The engine temp and fuel flow lights are also O.K.
The self test with just the key on is O.K.

ob

Admiral

Not sure how your lights are wired ,but a constant tone alarm usually designates overheat or fuel restriction.

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the help, but I found the problem. After going back over what had happened, (washed the engine with fresh water and sprayed it down with protectant)I I removed the end of the oil pump and found that water had gotten into the switch contacts in the end of the pump. Cleaned out the water and dried it out. Sprayed it with corrosion X and ran the engine with no problems.

ob

Admiral

Glad to hear you got it Bill.