Evinrude 115 Extension

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
My motor is too high and I can't get a prop to give me decent bit without ventialting.

Couple of pictures.

Motor height. The A/V plate is about an inch above the keel.

100_2302.sized.jpg

Cruising the A/V plate is out of the water.
IMGP0112.sized.jpg

More pictures are here at Fishbc

So, I really think I need an extension to a 25 inch shaft. This is a rebuilt transom and the motor is as low as it can go.

I'd consider a jack plate if someone shows me one that will lower my motor, but I do think I would have issues with the steering cable.

So, I'm back to thinking an extension is the way to go. Who would sell new kits or be a good source for used. I've got a search on eBay but nothing there now for this hp of a motor.

Thanks

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Evinrude 115 Extension

I don't have a ready answer.OMC didn't make kit,as far as I can see.In 1981 even the swivel bracket (between the transom clamps) differed for the 20'' and 25''.

If you do find an aftermarket kit,be sure the hardware is stainless.

When your transom was rebuilt,was it built too high? I don't recommend cutting it,but maybe rebuild to the correct height.

DHP

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

When sitting at rest, the waterline is very close to the transom. I've though about cutting it down (I did the conversion from an I/O myself) but it would put the transom real close to the water line.

I'm also considering swapping motors if I could find a decent deal on a long shaft. Wouldn't mind a newer motor if I can re-use my controls etc.

Walker

Captain

Try a prop with more rake. Your action pic looks fine to me. Or even a whale tail to keep some pressuer in the prop from above.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Wish I could see the rig in person.From what I'm reading,the motor needs to go down an inch.

That would bring the water line too high on the transom?

Converted from an I/O should make it light astern,so it's hard to figure.

DHP

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Went from this (motor removed)

IMGP0207.sized.jpg

to this

IMGP0256.sized.jpg

At rest, the water line is not much below the transom. The setup planes well enough, and, in general works okay (much better than the stringer drive ever did), I just can't get a prop with bite to work without ventilating. I'm figuring an extension and then lifting the motor back up is going to help.

ob

Admiral

You could also consider an offset adapter.Some only set back arond 4-5 ".

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

But will that allow the engine to be lowered?

D

DJ

That looks like an aluminum boat. I can't hardly believe that sits with the water within an inch of the top of the transom. Something doesn't add up.

A 25" engine would sit far too low.

ob

Admiral

Tacklewasher said:
But will that allow the engine to be lowered?

Absolutely.The ones I'm speaking of have slotted holes for the engine bracket.Sort of a cheap solution to a jack-plate except you can't make adjustments underway.Heck a fab shop could make you one so long as you had a template for the bolt pattern.It's nothing more than a rectangular spool of sorts with a doulble flange.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

xtraham said:
not enough rake on the stern of a conversion, the engine is not to high it's to close...
check this..

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/single.html

This I could fix. I have a bracket that came with the outboard that would move the outboard back about an inch and a half, but not down at all. I could try it (in a couple of weeks as I'm off on business).

So, for an efficient running outboard, where does the a/v plate sit in relation to the water?

Oh, and when I looked into my conversion, I looked at plates like that. They were not recommended (by one manufacturer) for boats under 20 feet. I'm thinking (for a lot of reasons) I made the wrong call on that one and should have pursued it more (for anyone thinking of doing similar).

xtraham

Lieutenant

starting point for good performance A/V plate should be no lower than even with the lowest part of the haul (keel) then start moving up from that to get the best performance, you need to get that engine at least 12/18" away from the stern....because of the I/O to O/B conversion