Stalling incident x's 2 today.

bucktailnut

Recruit
Hello to all. This appears as my first post but I was currently registed as "patrolcarr", but am unable to retrieve my password. Anyway, I have a 2000 130 2 stroke Yamaha and experienced 2 stalls today(first in the history of the engine-600 hours.) The first one occured after I had been idling in neutral for about 20 minutes in bad seas, I attempted to put her into forward kind of quickly-(HUGE wave came my way and needed to get out of there ASAP) I attmpted to put her from idle to approx 1/3 power quickly and she stalled. I started her right back up-no problem. Second stall-pulling into my dock head first, went from Forwad to reverse quickly and she stalled again. Both times seem to be when I gave her a quick shot for immediate need. For the life of the engine I've been using a Sierra 21 micron fule/water seperator, and yesterday switched to a Mallory 10 micron filter. Could this new filter cause a fuel restriction I may not be used to? This engine has NEVER stalled before. The day after I put a new filter she stalls twice, possible cause? Aside form those two stalls, she ran as perfectly as she normally does. Any feedback appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stalling incident x's 2 today.

when was ther last time the carbs were cleaned and the fuel pumps replaced as well as a general tune up ?
your description fits a weak fuel pump.

bucktailnut

Recruit

Actually, the carbs have never been touched, nor has the fuel pump been replaced. Last week I did a de-carb, and changed the plugs and filters. Thats why I was so caught off guard. How oftne should a fuel pump be replaced?

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Rule of thumb. Every 3 seasons rebuild the carbs and the fuel pump.

bucktailnut

Recruit

Thanks for the info thus far. I took her out again today and she had similar characteristics. This time, I went from 3/4's throttle, immediatly to neutral, and when she went into neutral she stalled again. Quick questions: Can the fuel pump be easily removed? How hard is it to rebuild carbs? Never done either. I'm good at maintanance, but carbs look complicated. Any idea how much a crab rebuild is, professionally?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on that 130 they dont get much simpler. usually requireing only the fuel bowl gasket.
the fuel pump is maybe 38 dollars and takes a good 10 min and 2 wire ties to change, ya may get a new pump to block gasket incase the original tears.
the complete carb kits are not that expensive, just put the floats back where they came from and double check the float height with a scale.