According to ABC news global warming is caused by humans

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
If anyone watched ABCs 20/20 Last Days show you would have been scared out of your wits (like the good media should do to us).

Also, you would have learned the top thing to worry about is global warming. Also you would have been told the debate about the cause of global warming is over, humans are the cause, and anyone who says different is a crackpot or has been bought off by industry.

Their unbiased source was Al Gore.

Talk about media bias. :^

Ken

oddjob

Commander
Re: According to ABC news global warming is caused by humans

I saw it.Al Gore...LOLOLOLOLOLOL!8)

imported_John o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll believe their stories on global warming when they can tell me correctly 100% of the time if it is going to rain tomorrow.

How can they predict the weather 50 years from now if they can't get tomorrow right more than 30% of the time?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Well then, clearly you are either a crackpot or have been bought off by industry...

8)

[note to john o: to answer your question, it's just like how I can remember every detail about my first five pound bass 30 years ago, but couldn't tell ya what I had for lunch yesterday if my life depended on it!]

kickoffinternet.jpg

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

LOL at jtex, I like the pic.

Ken

rwise

Captain

I can live with global warming its being sucked into a black hole in 100,000 years that has me worried:/

QC

Supreme Mariner

I just went to ABC's site trying to get more info on this as I am incensed with people who claim to be "reporters" reporting theory as fact. Anyway, at least Hawking got this close to right:

Vargas: "What do you think is the biggest threat to humanity?"

Hawking: "Nuclear war is still probably the greatest threat to humanity, at the present time. Even after the end of the Cold War, there are still enough nuclear weapons stockpiled to kill us all several times over, and new nuclear nations will add to the instability. With time, the nuclear threat may decrease, but other threats will develop, so we must remain on our guard."

The biggest threat to mankind is human evil. Choosing to buy a vehicle that gets 16 MPG vs. one that gets 25 is not evil, unless you are a twisted idiot. Not doing something when the whole world believed that a madman had access to WMD, now that would have been evil. Help!!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I didn't see the program, now I'm curious...KIZ said "the top thing to worry about." Then Q said "the biggest threat to mankind."

There is a difference between the two...I mean, I don't worry about the biggest threat to mankind...it's irrelevant to me in my daily life I have plenty of more pressing issues to worry about.

I mean, if global warming is a threat, even if it's the biggest threat, is Big Al suggesting we give it top priority?

And Q, am I reading you correctly? Is it naive to believe that mankind can avoid self-destruction?

Furthermore, have any other threats (other than climate change and human evil) been identified?

I'm thinking it's going to be more like a virus. Or a space alien. Or something else that nobody's thought of yet.

LadyFish

Admiral

John said:
I'll believe their stories on global warming when they can tell me correctly 100% of the time if it is going to rain tomorrow.

How can they predict the weather 50 years from now if they can't get tomorrow right more than 30% of the time?

HAHAHAHAHA d:)

And furthermore there was a report out of Russia the other day on Drudge that said there is a threat of global cooling.

Scientists announced in the July 21, 1999, edition of the journal Nature findings that suggest that global warming can sometimes lead to cold weather or even a worldwide freeze.

I'm just glad the "It's all Bush's Fault Theory" is gone. Its no secret that we are a self destructing species and are doing way more harm to this planet than needs be.

QC

Supreme Mariner

jtexas said:
And Q, am I reading you correctly? Is it naive to believe that mankind can avoid self-destruction?

I think it is naive to believe we can avoid self destruction if we don't identify and fight evil. Let me put it differently. There are many individuals and groups who would gladly and proudly drop a nuke on major US cities if they get the opportunity.

Like you, I am into worrying (thinking, doing something) about things that we can change. I don't care about Global Warming because I don't believe we can have any positive effect (cooling) even if we caused the warming, of which I am not convinced. I guess you need to go to the 20/20 site., but apparently (I didn't see it), this show was about things that could destroy us. I assume us meant the planet, the people, combo of the two. They identified a super duper volcano, a black hole and I assume some other, naturally occurring, stuff that we don't have a snowball's chance in heck of affecting (what's the affect/effect rule again?).

Pony

Rear Admiral

LadyFish said:
John said:

Thats how the mini-ice age supposedly began, the ice melting stopped the hydrothermal flow because of the increase of fresh water in the North Atlantic.

HAHAHAHAHA d:)

And furthermore there was a report out of Russia the other day on Drudge that said there is a threat of global cooling.

Scientists announced in the July 21, 1999, edition of the journal Nature findings that suggest that global warming can sometimes lead to cold weather or even a worldwide freeze.

I'm just glad the "It's all Bush's Fault Theory" is gone. Its no secret that we are a self destructing species and are doing way more harm to this planet than needs be.

PW2

Commander

Virtually nothing in science is 100 % certain. It is documented that greenhouse gas levels have risen significantly, especially in the last 50 years, and humans have had a significant impact on greenhouse gasses.

Is it the biggest threat we face? You mean other than North Korea or Iran getting a bunch of nukes and using them, or some rogue terrorist group get their hands on Russia's former stockpile of nuclear material, or some mutation of the avian flu breaking out, or some yet unknown virus, or the proliferation of evil in the world?

Who knows what is the biggest threat we face? What does it matter? It is a threat, and we should not ignore it.

Since time began, there has been evil in the world, and we are not likely, save for some nuclear disaster, to end it. That does not mean we stop fighting evil because it is hopeless or inevitable. We fight it because we can, and it is the right thing to do.

Likewise, we can take steps to lessen our impact on the earth's atmosphere because we can, and it's the right thing to do.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My point wasnt to argue about global warming or the end of days.

My point was that ABC news heavily implied that anyone who does not believe that humans are the cause of global warming is a crackpot or has been bought by the industry.

While they were impling this, they showed pics of the congress building and showed excerpts of tobbaco CEOs telling congress that nicotene was not addictive.

They offered no opposing viewpoint and used a democratic spokesperson as a source.

What could have been an interesting program about "what ifs" became a media sponsered campain.

I still never heard how global warming was predicted to cause the destruction of the earth. Talk about a stretch.

Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm. Crackpot? Yeah, well.. . um, no contest, your Honor.

Kill us all many times over? Absolutely not! I will not be killed more than once, and I am unanimous on that. Furthermore, I don't particularly care how I am killed so long as it is quick. Turning to vapor sounds quick.

All of the threats to humanity come from humanity violating natural laws and processes.

The biggest threat to humanity? Health care. At some undetermined date in the not too distant future the cost of continuing to keep the ever increasing number of people alive will exceed all available money to pay for it and civilization will collapse. That is, unless we do something about it right away and quit messing with mother nature's plan for us to die with dignity while we can still walk to the bathroom on our own and find our way back.

It is our obsession with not dying that in the end will kill us all. It must be that those who believe in an afterlife expect to go to somewhere other than Heaven.

LubeDude

Admiral

All I have to do is look at a picture of earth from the space station to beleive that there is nothing we could posably do about global warming even if it is a threat and even if we wanted to do something about it.

An old phrase about "P*ssing on a forest fire", comes to mind.

images

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

JB said:
The biggest threat to humanity? Health care.

Now that's what you call ironic!

8)

LadyFish

Admiral

Well toward that end Ken, I don't believe we are 100% responsible for global warming, I think we have little affect in the whole realm of it.

I do in fact believe that there are influences beyond our control that would take place if humans did not inhabit the earth.

P.S. I'm a crackpot but I have not been bought by industry.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

anyone ever read about the mini ice age from the mid 1600 to the mid 1800 and what caused it and its effects on the known world of the time? the next one will have a very similar affect.

Link

Rear Admiral

LadyFish said:
P.S. I'm a crackpot
Tell us something we didnt already know! :) :) :)

I dont think we humans are that important. (In the big picture)

Mother earth is going to do by nature what she needs to.
She has done it before and will do it again.

We or the people after us will just have to cope with it.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wont be the fisrt time a dominant critter change has occured on this ball, most likly not the last.
could ya imagine a tamboura event followed 75 years later by a meteor strike like the yucatan event?
hope it never happens but odds are it will, its done stuff like that before.
I am quite sure that human activity could raise the temps of the atmosphere, I am equally sure that natural processes can
and science says mother nature tends to do it with or without humans.