1979 Evinrude 140 carb rebuild?

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Is it possible to remove the high and low speed orifice plugs without the need of the special tool mentioned in the OEM Service Manual (p/n 317002)?

Also, is it mandatory that the core plugs be removed on the carbs or can one normally get by without removing them so long as the carbs get a good soaking in carb cleaner overnight and blown out thouroghly with compressed air?

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Evinrude 140 carb rebuild?

Yes , you can , I make alot of my own tools.

I buy yard sale screw drivers , punches, etc. etc.

Then use grinder to make the needed tool, if possible.

If I understand , just use a wide blade screwdriver , carefully, or grind an old chisel (hex) to fit the slots, and use a socket and ratchet on the end to remove.

I allways remove the plugs, its very simple , and I like to be sure everything is as clean as possible , and then some.

Just drive a sharpened punch through the plug, being carefull,not to go too deep.

And pop them out. They're aluminum, so its not difficult.

Use end of extension to install new ones.

Im sure you know , but , after soaking .

You still need to go through them .

I use small wire , torch tip cleaner , drills, etc.

Run it through all the orifices. And spray canned carb cleaner though them.

Then blow out with air.

KYHunter

Theoutdoorsman

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but aren't the orifice plugs the technical term for the jets? Also, do the orifice plugs need to be removed in order to effectively clean them or can they be left intact? And this is probably going to sound really stupid, but I do soak the entire carb in cleaner overnight.........correct?

rwash91

Cadet

Behind the low speed orfice plugs ( the ones nearest the throttle plates) the fuel is lead to 3 small holes that allow fuel to enter the venturies. It would be possible and probable that dirt or varnish could be left between those 3 hole and your idle jets. I would take them out if possible. Sounds like you may be having trouble getting them out. Use a screwdiver that fits these really well or do like someone above mentioned and make one that fits. Make one for each one if they are all tore up and mangled.
Yep orfice plug is the same as a jet. Soaking all night sounds good to me, just take floats and needle out first. Good luck !

Theoutdoorsman

Ok........jets will come out and I'll soak the whole carb overnight in carb cleaner............Thanks!

One last question.......the manual calls for adhesive "m" to be applied to the core plugs upon re-installation. Is this something everyone practices? Seems that some of this adhesive could become dislodged and plug up the jets to me. Is it absolutely necessary or can these be reinstalled without using the adhesive? Can I use an alternative if I indeed need to use it? Recomendation?

Walker

Captain

Yes, use the adhesive. Apply a very, very thin bead around the bottom of the hole where the core plug edge seats. I use a toothpick to put the sealer in. You only need enough to barely see.

Theoutdoorsman

Ok guy's............ Carbs were soaked for 9 hrs in carb cleaner, cleaned all passages/orifices, and blown dry with air. I have one more quick question for you though? I'd like to check for correct positioning of the float height, but I don't have the "special gauge" that the service manual calls for. Can this be done without this tool?

Thumpbass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Walker said:
Yes, use the adhesive. Apply a very, very thin bead around the bottom of the hole where the core plug edge seats. I use a toothpick to put the sealer in. You only need enough to barely see.

is these an alternative to "adhiesive m"...

Theoutdoorsman

Anyone have any idea as properly adjusting the float without the special tool?

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

With the carb inverted , set float level with carb body, or slightly above level .

Also be sure it is level , across the front .

I just do it by eye, but you can use a small ruler , measure from one end to the other.

KYHunter

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you don't have one already install a fuel filter/water seperator in the fuel line to keep the crud from getting into the carb.

Theoutdoorsman

A water seperator and 3 psi electric fuel pump have both been added to the fuel delivery. Thank you for the tips!!!!!!!