solenoid clicks

arall

Seaman Apprentice
Hello Guy's

today I was working on the installation of my navigational lights, and had my son replace fuses when he accidently put a fuse in the wrong place. the 6 fuse panel I have is a Pos(+) buss bar panel. the first slot / fuse holder I use the top screw as the neg (-) post. when he tried to put a fuse in the holder it arc'd and pinned the fuel gauge. I then tried to start her up and click...nothing. I think I blew the solenoid. would I be right? I have a 1989 Johnson 48 hp special.

Thanks,

AL

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: solenoid clicks

Are you sure the solenoid clicks ?

If not , there's a fuse inside the cowling, that maybe blown.

I really dont see how a short at fuse panel would effect solenoid.

That is assuming you have a circuit breaker, in the pos. feed to your fuse panel.

If you have a remote control.

You'd have to have the ignition , engaged , for the short to reach the solenoid.

As well as, getting your pos. to panel, from key switch

IMHO, the best way to wire a fuse panel is with a dedicated pos. through a circuit breaker , and power switch , directly to battery.

And a seperate ground to panel / buss bar , from battery also.

Completely seperate from starting circuit.

Only thing connected to key switch , is guages, and choke solenoid.

KYHunter

arall

Seaman Apprentice

here is some pic's, when I put my finger on the solenoid and turn the key, it makes a click noise

pic 1- solenoid, again when I turn the key to the start position it has a single click each time I turn key to start.

solenoid.jpg

pic 2- the orange wire is that the fuse, and if so! how do I replace it???
752a6d87.jpg

Thanks,
AL

arall

Seaman Apprentice

KY, Thanks for that info above...8)

I found the fuse it's a 5/8" 20 amp 32 volt fuse that is blown. Man this forum is the best, I'm happy to be a part of it.

Many Thanks

AL

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Anytime, and that orange wire is your temp sensor, to horn in control box.

KYHunter

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

You may still want to consider, isolating the starting circuit, from your fuse panel.

If im understanding correctly, you have to have the key engaged, for your accessories to operate.

If its the case , much better to wire, as I described.

Another quick tip, those little glass fuses are hard to find at times.

I remove the holder and replace with a atm fuse holder with a rubber cap, and use the atm fuses .

They can be found , at any gas station , quick mart , chicken ranch , LOL etc.

Well maybe not all chicken ranches. LOL

KYHunter

arall

Seaman Apprentice

Back to the drawing board:/

Ok! today I replaced the 20 amp 5/8" fuse, and still the solenoid clicks? when I turn the key to start position NO start. I didn't blow the fuse though.

I still think I may have blown the solenoid or maybe the ignition coil. not sure!

how would I check those items with a meter. would I do a continuity check or volts and where would I set the probes from the meter, I'll post pic's
solenoid.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0069.jpg

I must have had the key in the on position when my son put the fuse in the first space of the panel when I herd the fuse pop the first time it pinned the fuel guage. then I turned the key to off and the fuel gauge reset it self.

The pos buss bar I'm using is the glass type and holds 6 fuses. I dedicated the first fuse slots top screw as the neg (-) and the other 5 fuses are pos (+)

Again I would appriciate someone telling how to test these items, the solenoid, and ign coil

solenoid pic in next post.

Thanks in advance!

AL

arall

Seaman Apprentice

solenoid
IMG_0061.jpg

In detail, how do I test this.

BTW, KY

I will be changing the the buss bar to atm type fuse panel

Thanks
AL

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The ignition coil has nothing to do with the starter engagement so I doubt that's a problem. Set your meter to read 12V. Connect the negatvie lead to the engine block (ground). Put the positive lead on the large solenoid terminal that feeds the starter motor. Have someone turn the key to start. If 12V is present, solenoid is ok. If not, solenoid is likely bad. But before replacing it, use a short jumper wire to connect the other large terminal on the solenoid (the one with the positive battery cable on it) to the small terminal on the solenoid that comes from the ignition switch. If the starter spins, the solenoid is ok and there is a wiring problem in the start circuit. It the starter doesn't spin, the solenoid is indeed bad.

arall

Seaman Apprentice

Silvertip, Thanks

I did what you instructed. I took my meter set it to 12v put the pos lead on the pos (+) side of solenoid and the black lead to the engin block had someone turn to to start, and nothing just clicking.

I then put a jumper wire on the pos(+) side of the solenoid and the other end to the small top screw of the solenoid that is wired to the ignition switch, again nothing...just clicks. so I guess the solenoid is bad.

Again! many thanks for that info.
AL

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Now put 12 volts(Jumper) directly to the starter. See if it turns over...If so, then it's definitely the solenoid. Also, clean all those terminals at the solenoid before you replace it. Lots of corrosion going on there...

arall

Seaman Apprentice

Silvertip, Thanks

I did what you instructed. I took my meter set it to 12v put the pos lead on the pos (+) side of solenoid and the black lead to the engin block had someone turn to to start, and nothing just clicking.

I then put a jumper wire on the pos(+) side of the solenoid and the other end to the small top screw of the solenoid that is wired to the ignition switch, again nothing...just clicks. so I guess the solenoid is bad.

Again! many thanks for that info.
AL

arall

Seaman Apprentice

thanks Rick

it's the solenoid. not to bad it goes for about 40 bucks.

The guy that owned this boat before me did nothing but run it, shame, shame. But I bought it for a song and a dance...!

Al

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you found the problem.

A tip,if all the connections on the motor , look like the ones on solenoid.

You need to disconnect all of them, and clean , sand , replace, as needed .

The grounds are a must , as are, all the connections.

Don't forget the coil to head/ block, grounds. power pack , etc.

I'd bet the pins, and sockets, in the amphenol plugs , look alot like the sol. connections.

After cleaning I put a little di-electric grease on amphenol pins.

Helps slow corrosion.

If you don't do a thorough job, you'll have intermittant problems , until the cows come home.

KYHunter

arall

Seaman Apprentice

Thats it, I'm lost! what is >>>amphenol plugs / pins...:$

yes all connections will be cleaned and or replaced where needed. this engine, do... need some work. and as I learn from this forum " it will run like a top "

so far the things I need for this engine is:

1. Ign solenoid - waiting delivery from iboat.
2. starter driver - " "
3. prop shaft is slightly bent - still looking for a good machine shop or a cheap lower unit. for this 89 Johnson 48 special, model# J48ESLCER any known shops would be greatful.

Thanks, Guys

Al

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Im sorry if my terminology , has you confused.

The plugs Im referring to are the rubber connectors, that have the pins, and sockets , inside.

They often get corroded over time , resulting in a poor connection.

KYHunter